We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Novotel vs. Lomond

Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Novotel vs. Lomond

Hello all! I'm currently planning a trip of a lifetime for my husband and I, we'll be on the South Island of NZ in January 2010. Got almost everything booked, just down to the last stay ~ Queenstown.

Looking for a hotel, I've found two that look promising, Novotel Lakeside and Lomond Lodge. Who has stayed at either place? Which would you prefer? Looking for a lake view room :) Please give me any info you have on these places, or another wonderful hotel in this general location. Looking to not spend more than $100-$120 USD/night. THANKS.

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Novotel vs. Lomond

Novotel almost in centre of town - a lakeview room would be a good choice - no road in front. Lomond Lodge on a busy bypass road 5 min walk to centre. Think you can see which way I'm inclined. Cheers

Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Novotel vs. Lomond

Thank you for the reply. It also seems I will get a better deal on a lake view room at Novotel.

CSquaredC2
Level Contributor
399 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Novotel vs. Lomond

I just stayed at the Novotel for 3 nights. Great location. I know nothing of the Lomond except I thought I may have passed it at some point while I was there - I believe it was up on a hill.

The Novotel was perfect for me as I was traveling solo. It's right in the heart of the town and once I got to Queenstown I dropped off the rental car and walked everywhere I needed to. The hotel was clean, modern and quiet, the staff was nice and courteous. It's a great hotel for the money.

The concierge desk - the only thing I thought was a little bit of disappointment. They were very helpful and able to help with bookings, but in the end, I question whether they really had my best interest in mind. I was recommended one tour that I was told was "really really good" and other guests have recently said good things about it. Having booked the tour, I was sorely dissappointed. And I'm easy to please! I think they made the recommendation without really knowing as much as they claimed. Bottom line is, no matter where you stay, get input directly from people you encounter during your stay - the ones who are actually taking the tours.

Have a great time!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Novotel vs. Lomond

Thank you for your reply. I did book the Novotel for our 4 nights in Queenstown, lake view room, and we are very excited!

I am somewhat worried about parking our rental car there ($ wise), but if you say we could walk everywhere, maybe we can just drop off the car once we get to Queenstown like you did, since that is our last stop. Thanks!

CSquaredC2
Level Contributor
399 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Novotel vs. Lomond

Depending on what you want to do in Queenstown - if you do activities and such, most of those vendors do pick-ups and such so you don't need a car. If you want to get out and explore on your own and have flexibility outside of the township, it may be nice to have a car. There is a Hertz right across from the hotel. And I know I saw an Avis and Budget center somewhere within the town limits. You can always time it so that you have the car for a day or two, then drop off. I don't remember what the parking rate was at the hotel.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Novotel vs. Lomond

Thanks for the info, I think that is a good idea to keep it for the first two days maybe, we want to go see a winery that I've heard are around Queenstown. Then drop the car off. Thanks again!

7. Re: Novotel vs. Lomond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 13:01
8. Re: Novotel vs. Lomond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2010, 05:17