We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling Tour

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling Tour

Can any suggest the best South Island Cycling Tour? Im flying to Queenstown and would like go on a 4 or 5 day tour? I like adventure so it doesn't have to be for beginners. There are so many on the internet, that it is hard to choose.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling Tour

Our friend early this year completed Christchurch to Queenstown then Queenstown to Dunedin via the RailTrail.Ran out of time so piled the bike on the bus back to Christchurch.I don't think you can go past that trip to give you a good experience of essential South Island.From City, to farmlands, through rolling hills(via the Inland Route) dry tussock covered McKenzie Basin,gorges, then up into the Mountains to our adventure capital.Have an exciting break there.Then cycle out on the Otago Railtrail to Dunedin, which I have very fond memories of.And take a tour around the peninsular.And you've run out of time.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling Tour

http://www.otagorailtrail.co.nz/

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling Tour

As far as I am aware the Central Otago Rail Trail is the only scheduled cycle tour that commences [Bus pickup] in Queenstown........so starting in Queenstown may limit the cycling options. The rail trail is usually a 3 day excursion - easy riding / spectacular scenery. If you have an extra day touch base with Fat Tyre adventures for one of their day MTB trips.........you could ask if they have any planned multi-day trips at the time of your visit. Cheers

4. Re: Cycling Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 05:19