We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling in Queenstown

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Cycling in Queenstown

Hi there, I am travelling to Queenstown for a week in mid November and I will have my bike (road bike, not MTB!) with me from a previous destination. I am keen to go for some good rides, and happy to tackle some big mountain roads. Can anyone recommend any good loops that I should consider? It may be a silly question but can you ride a road bike up to the Remarkables or Coronet or is it a dirt road? Any good ideas, or links to good sites are welcome! Thanks in advance.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling in Queenstown

A wonderful road trip is Queenstown to Arthur's Point to Arrowtown to Wanaka (via the Crown Range, NZ's highest public road) to Cromwell back to Queenstown.

Another fabulous trip (and less demanding) is up to Glenorchy and back. No need to worry about going/returning on the same road as the views are totally different either way.

Both routes are fully sealed, stunning scenery :)

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling in Queenstown

The best mountain road loops are:

1. Wanaka return. Go over Crown Range, return via Cromwell. 135ks if you go Crown Range each way ....longer via Cromwell

2. Glenorchy Return. 80ks.....hilliest continuous route in district!

3. Not as hilly [more rolling] but a beautiful ride to Kingston return, along lakeside - approx 110ks

Coronet Peak a sealed road ....but a dead end, so to my mind boring. You could combine with a loop thru Dalefield along Littles/Speargrass/Lake Hayes/SH6/Arrow Junction/Arrowtown.... Use google map to see

Remarkables road unsealed - don't think about taking a roadie up there

Go to www.wakatipucycling if you are interested in racing while in Qtn

A good hard bunch ride leaves R&R Sport Qtn 6pm ea Wed eve

Enjoy!

Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling in Queenstown

Thanks heaps for your insights guys, really looking forward to it.. a race would be good while i'm there but I'll actually have my TT bike so prob not ideal for a local road race!! but very keen to check out some of the rides you've mentioned... I'll post some feedback when I get back ;)

4. Re: Cycling in Queenstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2010, 05:16