We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horse Back Riding near Queenstown, NZ

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Horse Back Riding near Queenstown, NZ

Hi everybody,

My family of 4 is going to NZ this December and would really like to go horse back riding. Me and my two daughters are experienced riders, and my husband has never rode a horse. We were wondering where we should go. I've heard about Dart Stables, Ben Lomond Stables, and Shotover Stables. I have read mixed reviews on Dart Stables but hardly anything on the other two. Any information on any of the stables, as well as info about the horses, guides, ect.. would be very helpful.

Thanks so much

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Horse Back Riding near Queenstown, NZ

Never had negative feedback re Dart Stables - this area [Glenorchy] offers spectacular surroundings for riding. 2-hr return drive to Dart Stables

Closer to town consider Moonlight Stables [15-min drive] - group or private rides by arrangement - again landscape is impressive

Ben Lomond quite isolated

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horse Back Riding near Queenstown, NZ

I haven't heard any bad comments about dart stables either. That would be my suggestion, as Glenorchy is a very scenic area. If you want stay closer to Queenstown there is the moonlight stables and the Shotover stables. I'm sure the ben lomond ride is good too.

Queenstown
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horse Back Riding near Queenstown, NZ

Hi guys

Glenorchy is a great place to go for your horse experience here.

There are two companies operating up here

Dart Stables and High Country Horse treks

Dart stables trails cover a lot of the lord of the rings sites and can take you up into the dart valley. High Country horse trek's trails involve river crossings out over the river flats.

If you google search both companies you will be able to find all their details.

hope this helps

Derby,UK
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Horse Back Riding near Queenstown, NZ

Myself and my two kids did a ride with the Moonlight Stables. We were all looked after very well. Picked up from our accomodation in QT and taken to their stables about 15/20mins away.

Just us on our ride across their farmland. Amazing senery as you can expect. I'd say only my daughter was the experienced rider and she was allowed to canter away at the side of us.

Cheers..

5. Re: Horse Back Riding near Queenstown, NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2010, 06:18