We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentine's DInner

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
512 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Valentine's DInner

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Queenstown on Valentines Day! We want to go out for a nice dinner and realize that we will probably have to start thinking about making a reservation soon (at least that is how crazy it is here for getting reservations on Valentines Day).

We are not sure where to go for dinner and are looking for some suggestions. We want somewhere that we won't have to dress up formally (like dresses and suit!), but don't want to eat burgers! :) We would love some suggestions for restaurants with great food. A beautiful view would be a plus, but is not a deal breaker! It can be anywhere in the Queenstown area, but not too far out as we wouldn't like to be driving too far in the dark.

Also, as a side question, what is the "rule of thumb" for having a drink with dinner then driving home? In Ontario, they recently changed the allowable blood alcohol limit to 0.05% from 0.08% which means one glass of wine right before you get into your car will cause you to blow over the limit. Just wondering so we don't get ourselves in trouble from having a simple glass of wine! :)

Thanks in advance!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentine's DInner

The limit here is .08 for those over 20 (.03 for those under). There is talk of lowering it to .05 for adults. You should expect to be breathalysed. There are often random checks where everyone is tested. They don't need probable cause to stop you.

One of my favourite restaurants is Botswana Butchery. They are right in the centre of Queenstown and excel at steak, lamb, venison and fish. The original Botswana B is in Wanaka :)

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentine's DInner

"Smart Casual" is the mode of dress in Queenstown. No one I know wears a suit to dinner here!

For views consider:

In prime position on Queenstown Bay, Pier 19: http://www.pier19.co.nz

Lombardi: menumania.co.nz/restaurants/lombardi-restaur… . A hotel restaurant with very good views, 7 min walk downhill to Queenstown Bay

Wai Waterfront Restaurant

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentine's DInner

Hi there,

My post might be seen as biased because I do work for Les Alpes, but I truly believe that we are a great restaurant. Why would I be working here otherwise? Food is excellent and service top-notch, but we are still very approchable (definitely not suits and ties here). The owners are almost always around and they would come to your table and make you feel very special.

Plus, we hand-make all our pastries, and what would be more romantic than a French dinner with a beautiful chocolate mousse to top it all up?

you can check us out at lesalpes.co.nz

If not, Wai is supposed to be very good seafood and it has a nice setting on the waterfront as well.

Good luck!

Serena

4. Re: Valentine's DInner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2010, 07:18