We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterfalls?

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Waterfalls?

Hi everyone,

Planning this year's trip for September and bringing extras this time (sister & elderly mother). It's only for 11 days and therefore only doing the highlights for their benefit.

Fly to Christchurch

Akaroa

Mt Cook

Queenstown

Te Anau

Milford Sound

Fly out of Queenstown

Sorry WL, no Wanaka again this trip:o(

Sister wants to see waterfalls. I hope we're blessed with walls of them at Milford, but can you kind experts point me to some more along that route and around those locations that we can visit?

Thanks! Can't wait...

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterfalls?

skipping Wanaka?

again???

oh my, poor you

poor extras :(

Edited: 24 April 2010, 04:14
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterfalls?

I know. Failed yet again.

Following trip:

Wanaka

West Coast

Abel Tasman

I promise!!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterfalls?

No worries Kiki, it's always good to save the best for last ;)

Sorry I can't help with your waterfalls question. My favourites are down in the Catlins.

If flying out of Milford by helicopter ask your pilot to fly via Sutherland Falls. When we helicoptered there the pilot approached the waterfall (one of the world's highest) at valley floor height. We slowly ascended up the face of the waterfall to skim across the lake at the top then continued to climb up the upper half of the waterfall, surrounded by snow capped peaks. It was a total blast... and still gives me goosebumps now, just thinking about it!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterfalls?

Helicopter ascending up the face of the waterfall? Sounds awesome! I'm with you about the waterfalls in the Catlins. They're my favourite as well. In fact, the region would have to be close to the top of my favourites. Of course, after experiencing Wanaka next trip I might have to change that list :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
793 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterfalls?

There are some stunning waterfalls on the Banks Peninsular Track http://www.gang-gang.net/nomad/NZ/NZ20.htm which you can walk using Akaroa as your base.

Try to get a hold of this book storynature.com/a-guide-to-new-zealand-water… (A guide to New Zealand Waterfalls by Johnny T Cheng)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterfalls?

Thanks ChilliP,

Those links were great. Didn't know there were any on the Banks Peninsula. And that book is just what I need. If I can't get it in Melbourne I'll order through Amazon. I have 5 months 'till we leave. Anyone out there know if there are any on the way to Glenorchy?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterfalls?

I haven't noticed any waterfalls on the way to Glenorchy... or Paradise.

There are quite a number of stunning waterfalls up the Matukituki Valley but as you aren't coming to Wanaka...

time before last I went up the valley after a terrific storm had swept through. The hills were just gushing. At one spot I stopped and counted 18 waterfalls just on one side of the road :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
793 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waterfalls?

Hi,

There are waterfalls along the Routeburn Track out of Glenorchy, but it does depend on how far you would like to walk to see them. Not having done the walk myself yet, I'm not sure how far into the track they are.

Hope the book is a good one :)

9. Re: Waterfalls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 05:15