We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

I have researched LOTR tours in Christchurch, Wellington, Queenstown and Aukland and am thoroughly confused. Can anyone give me a rec for a solid tour for a college age Tolkein fan...a tour that covers a lot of ground and isn' t a waste of time or hokey?

Milford Sound BBQ Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Pure Glenorchy Scenic Lord of the Rings Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Film & TV Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Real Journeys
Sightseeing Tours
Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

Don't forget Matamata where you are able to visit Hobbiton. The Hobbit is to be filmed soon.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

Thanks! Do you know anything about the tours offered in the other areas? There are a lot of choices and it's hard to make a guess just based on websites.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

There are tours in Wellington. Have a look at www.wellingtonNZ.com and then go to Movie Tours or Flat Earth NZ experience. Another is www.adventuresafari.co.nz These may help with your decision. I haven't been on a tour but others may be able to advise you.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,516 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

Nomad Safaris does a LOTR tour. I haven't done it with them, but know where they go and it is spectaculer scenery from the movie.

I have done the Nomad Safari Skipper's Canyon tour which was wonderful. I can highly recommend the company :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

Thank you!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

to all NZ experts.. if i want to visit the LOTR location around Mt Cook, is it a must to take a tour or i can drive there on my own with 4x4?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,516 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

I'm not sure which Mount Cook LOTR area you are considering, but the majority of tours cross private land by special arrangement to which the public has no access.

One website says... We take you away from the crowded public areas and into places only your' local guides know how to find, or to areas only Discovery Tours has access to.'

If wanting to see LOTR locations without a guide than drive up the Dart River valley from Queenstown or up the Matukituki Valley from Wanaka. However without a guide you won't know what you are looking at, though it is all spectacular.

Derby,UK
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

A tour I would have loved to have gone on was to see the location for Edoras....it's on private land a couple hours away from Christchurch. Do a google search for "edoras tours".

You can find a lot of film locations by yourself but it's a bit hit and miss to what you will find that's recognisable from the films. Have a look out for Ian Brodie's LOTR location guide... a GPS device is advisable ! :-)

...ooo and the Hobbiton Tour should definately not be missed ...especially as it is in the process of being done up for the forthcoming film :-)

Cheers...

Edited: 25 June 2010, 12:33
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,787 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

Remember that much of the movie was created by Weta Workshops so although the hills are there the castles are not. Buy Ian Brodie's book and visit Arrowtown (the river is the ford where the black riders came down on horses) Mt Ngaruahoe in the central NI was Mt Doom. Every time I go into any beech forest around Wanaka or Te Anau I hope Orlando Bloom will appear from the trees - no such luck ..yet! Also don't miss the Weta Cave in Miramar, Wellington - it is free & is more of a shop for memorabilia but they have a good short film showing how some of the models were made.

10. Re: Lord of the Rings Tours in New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 September 2010, 10:35