We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel insurance

new jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
travel insurance

Do we need it? What is it? We are traveling from USA to Australia and New Zealand.

Iowa
Level Contributor
289 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel insurance

Do you need it? If you don't mind losing the money you invest in this trip, then you don't need it. But most of us don't want to lose that kind of money. We were scheduled for a NZ trip Jan.-Febr. 2010. Because of an illness and ultimate death in the family, we had to cancel 1 week before our scheduled departure. Many of the vendors with noncancellable reservations (B&Bs, etc.) were very understanding and dropped their cancellation fees. (As much as possible, we're trying to rebook with the same vendors for the same trip early next year.) You can't expect all (or any) of them to do that. Our travel insurance covered almost all of the remaining expense, including the fees for rebanking our FF miles.

Policies are different. Carefully examine what they cover and don't cover. Then select one that fits your needs. Just FYI, we also purchased a separate 30-day medical evacuation policy. That company allowed us to postpone our coverage up to one year without any penalty or additional fee.

Hope you have a great trip.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel insurance

Travel insurance is essential. It will cover you if you have an accident or illness and end up in hospital or unable to travel further.

Imagine a worst case scenario where you trip while walking and you break a leg. You would be helicoptered to hospital, your partner would be left to deal with missed accommodation and activity bookings, with getting the rental car sorted and rearranging missed flights home.

Travel insurance would cover all your expenses and also possibly your continued rehabilitation once home.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel insurance

I got sick on a flight once and got grounded at Hong Kong. A night's accommodation at short notice, medical costs and other expenses easily took the cost of a simple tummy bug to NZ$1000.

Travel insurance will generally cover medical treatment (which as a non-resident will be very expensive), loss or damage to your possessions, costs of travel disruptions, death, and personal liability. It's important to look through the policy to see what is covered and its exclusions.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel insurance

Travel Insurance should be booked at the same time as you book your travel tickets. It is an essential part of travelling.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel insurance

Travel Insurance covers you for the "unexpected" and all too frequent happenings when you travel. I would not go outside my door to travel without it. There are many types of cover, but, the main things you must cover are...Liability against any incident you may cause....Health and Hospital coverage...it does not take much of an incident to mount to thousands of dollars in foreign countries.....Loss or theft of luggage and personal items...and disruptions or cancellation of tour itinary.

You will get this sort of cover for between 10-15 dollars a day for a couple.

Any reputable travel agent...Bank...or insurance company handle these policies.

A couple of years back I was caught on Norfolk Island because of bad weather and the plane could not leave. My claim was almost $1000 for additional accomodation...meals..car hire etc. All refunded from my $100 cost policy. Don't leave home without it.!!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel insurance

HI BHG,

Travel insurance is a must.

Some credit Card companies have automatic travel insurance when their gold card (or higher) holders use the card to pay for their tickets. If you have used a credit card to pay for yours, check with the card company to see if you are covered. If not I suggest you take out travel insurance with a major company.

Cheers.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel insurance

A family friend had a medical emergency while travelling in Europe a few years ago. Unable to fly and requiring hospital admittance, by the time they could come home they had racked up a NZ$150,000 plus bill. All paid for with extras by their travel insurance. Don't leave home without it.

new jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travel insurance

Thanks for the information.

9. Re: travel insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 06:35