We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenstown accommodation recommendations

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Queenstown accommodation recommendations

Hi

Looking for recommendations for somewhere to stay for two nights in Queenstown, budget of approx $200NZD per night and needs to accommodate 3 adults. Car parking needed.

Has anyone got any recommendations please. Everywhere I have found seems to have bad reviews!

Thanks in advance!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queenstown accommodation recommendations

Hi Uk-V.

There's a huge range of hotels in Queenstown, and I can't believe they all have bad reviews. Your budget of NZ$200 per night is perhaps a bit light for 3 adults, unless you all wanted to squash into a studio apartment. Usually for 3 adults you would be looking at a 2 bedroom apartment, and these probably start at $200 and head to the sky from there.

You should take some of these reviews with a grain of salt. Some reviews of places I have stayed at bear no resemblance to what I experienced. I think some travellers are unduley picky, or perhaps they feel they have to find something negative to say to balance out an otherwise favourable report.

I recently stayed at Queenstown Park boutique hotel. This is a fabulous property, very close to central Queenstown. We were 2 couples,and we had the Tower suite, which has 2 bedrooms and a huge lounge. I can't remember what we payed, but it would have been a lot more than $200 per night, and worth every cent.

We also like Crowne Plaza. There are good deals on Wotif, and they have extended the booking period out to 3 months, so if you are coming this winter you should be able to find something.

if you can't find something to suit you in Queenstown perhaps you should try Wanaka. This tends to be cheaper, although once again, if you want 2 bedrooms and good quality you should be prepared to pay a bit more for it.

Te Anau is also a lot cheaper, and is a good stopping point if you are going to Milford Sound, but you will still need a couple of nights in Queenstown.

My thoughts are that you should be looking at around NZ$300 per night for a decent 2 bedroom apartment in high season, but you will probably find cheaper accommodation on WOTIF if you can wait a bit.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queenstown accommodation recommendations

We like Villa del Lago...they're located in a quiet location, which we find hard to come by in QT. They also have two and three bedroom units. Great place, but I'm not sure of their current rates.

Bella Vista Motel is a cheaper alternative...they're located near the gondola station and within walking distance to town. They have suites and three person units too.

Good luck!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,648 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queenstown accommodation recommendations

Motels are generally more affordable than a hotel or apartment, plus most provide ample parking. You could get a one bedroom unit and have the third person sleep on the sofa-bed in the lounge.

newzealand.com/travel/accommodation/accommod…

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queenstown accommodation recommendations

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately we are on a month long trip, so have to keep the budget low per night. The motels look like a great option and have already found two that are good contenders.... Hurleys and Earnslaw Lodge. And they have good reviews too which is a bonus!

Thanks again!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queenstown accommodation recommendations

check out at Nomads, it's a hostel but they have private rooms. we stayed at Reese last March, got a great price from Orbitz.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queenstown accommodation recommendations

To find good hotels, check out:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g255122-Queenstown_So…

To find good rates, check out wotif.com .

7. Re: Queenstown accommodation recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 05:17