We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford sound or fox glacier

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
perth
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Milford sound or fox glacier

Hi,

We only have time to go to EITHER fox glacier or milford sound. what does everyone reccomend we choose?

Thanks heaps.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford sound or fox glacier

If you only intend driving to the base of the glacier and viewing the terminal face, then there is no contest, Milford Sound every time..

On the other hand, if you are more active and adventurous, and intend doing the walk on the glacier, the choice is not so clear cut. The glacier walk is so completely different to anything you will ever do in Australia that you may think it worth giving up a visit to one of the worlds premium tourist attractions to do it. It really depends on what interests you the most, and I suspect that as an Australian you are probably more into sun, sand & surf, than ice, snow and mountains, so Milford might be a better choice, even though there is not much sand or surf, and the sun is often conspicuous by it's absence.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford sound or fox glacier

Unless you're into dirty ice then Milford wins hands down! Ok not quite that bad but you get the picture ;)

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford sound or fox glacier

I'd agree with Zappers.

If you have time to do a flight around Mt Cook then do it.

Milford Sound was not voted the best thing / place to see in the world on TA last year, for nothing. Again you can see this quickly by plane. The Scenic flight people call the flight a Milford sound overhead. You will get to see the widest part of the southern alps at the same time.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford sound or fox glacier

While I would not describe Fox or Franz as "dirty ice" I do agree with the others. It''s a "no contest". Milford! Actually if you are into nature at it's best, waterfalls, mountains etc, the Milford probably beats most things really.

5. Re: Milford sound or fox glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 06:16