We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenstown minus adrenaline!

worcester, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Queenstown minus adrenaline!

Hi everyone,

We are currently planning our trip to South Island next Feb. Quick question for an honest answer (!) - Since we will be travelling with 2 young children (aged 23 months and 4yrs), we wont be able to participate in any high adrenaline bungie jumping, sky diving etc etc so...Queenstown sounds lovely but is there much else to do?!!!! Is 2 nights sufficient (only in South Island for 13 nights total and are trying to see as much as realistically possible!) (We are also planning on spending a night in Wanaka, another in Te Anau and one in Milford Sound) Apologies if Ive offended any natives!!!!

Many thanks,

Emily ;0)

Edited: 21 July 2010, 21:10
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queenstown minus adrenaline!

THere are plenty of things to do in Queenstown without pushing the adrenaline envelope. A trip on the Earnslaw over to Walter Peak station, you can watch bungy jumping at Kawerau bridge, a trip up the Gondola, a drive around to Glenorchy, A walk through the botanical gardens, visit the Kiwi experience, a visit to Arrowtown. There are lots of cafes around the lakefront including Patagonia Chocolates foe indulgent hot chocolate. Feed the ducks on the foreshore

Hope this little list helps

Edited: 21 July 2010, 21:13
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Queenstown minus adrenaline!

While Queenstown is know as 'The Adventure Capital of the Wold', it has something for everyone. Actually it has 'many things' for everyone. See: queenstown-nz.co.nz/information/thingstodo/

Oz
Level Contributor
12,615 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queenstown minus adrenaline!

Hi Emily,

You are very brave travelling with two young children. That said we found that there are so many things to do in Queenstown that it was tough to decide between them, albeit we were skiing too.

If you are a film "buff" there are tours to the sites where Lord of the Rings, etc were shot. There are tours to rain forests, wineries etc, etc. The trip up to the Skyline restaurant in the gondola is a must regardless of age, the view and the food are excellent. I really think that the youngsters will be the limiting factor but still heaps to do and see.

Cheers,

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
345 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queenstown minus adrenaline!

Hi Meb1,

Queenstown is lovely first and foremost. For us we did not participate in any of the adrenaline thrills that queenstown had to offer as we had old injuries which we had to mind. Saying that there is the Gondola which offers breathtaking views of Queenstown, there is also the Lunge that yourself and your 4 year old could do. Not to sure if there is a min age though on this. There is also the Earnslow that takes you to Walter Peak where you can disembark. We also took a day trip with a tour to Milford Sound from Queenstown. There is also Arrowtown which is only a few KM's from Queenstown and there is some lovely cafes there.

We originally had to plan to stay 2 days in Queenstown but due to lost luggage with airline we had to stay another 2 nights and so glad we did. We had also hired a car and we had this for the remainder of our time on the south island.

Oh how I would love to go back.

Happy planning :-)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,929 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queenstown minus adrenaline!

unless you are hoping for an international Art gallery, Queenstown has something for everyone. Even if its sitting on the lake edge feeding the ducks and taking in the mountains. Our son, now 23, still remembers the ride on the Earlslaw and sitting on the cow at the end of the lake. He was about 5 at the time.

The area is suitable for all ages, the very young to the very old,. Have a walk through Arrowtown, a pichnic by the river and take them to Wanaka. If you like the out doors, lakes mountains etc, you can enjoy just being here.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queenstown minus adrenaline!

And although Queenstown doesn't have an international art gallery, there are many small galleries selling a diverse range of quite stunning NZ art. Arrowtown and Wanaka also have excellent galleries.

In Arrowtown you can pan for gold in the Arrow River, take a stroll along the river trail or through the Chinese historic village.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queenstown minus adrenaline!

Hey! We visited QT last April with our then 16 month old son. We had a great time there. The gondola is great, and the Luge can run tendum...I took my young son three times and he loved it! Never done it but I've heard that the trip across the lake on the Earnslaw to the farm is nice with little ones. We also took a soak in the Onsen hot-pools, which were really nice, and done some vineyard tours. Little shopping and you've already covered three-four days. Have fun, Queeenstown is awesome.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Queenstown minus adrenaline!

As you have probably gathered, there is plenty of non extreme things to do in Queenstown. I've been visiting Queenstown on and off for over 60 years, and the most extreme thing I have done is skiing.

I would reconsider staying in Milford Sound, unless you are doing an early morning kayak, which with young kids I would doubt. Milford is best done as a day trip from Te Anau. So I suggest 2 nights in Te Anau, visiting Milford on the in between day , or 1 night in Te Anau, and drive back to Queenstown or Wanaka after a day in Milford.

You could easily spend 2 nights in Wanaka. Visit Puzzling World, and the Museum at the Wanaka airfield, This museum is INCREDABLE. It's got dolls, models, old cars, trucks & fire engines, military tanks (a Valanetine) aircraft, including a Mig 17 trainer, steam engines. Anything you could contemplate collecting is here. Allow at least 4 hours.

Whiritoa, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Queenstown minus adrenaline!

Hi MEB1,

I now live in Queenstown, I originated from Cleobury Mortimer in Worc,s. Queenstown has so much more to offer, than just adrenaline. I think you'll enjoy your time here, most people wish that they had stayed longer. Pete

10. Re: Queenstown minus adrenaline!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2011, 05:17