We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford sound tour smaller boats?

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotch Plains, New...
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Milford sound tour smaller boats?

We're looking at taking a day tour to Milford Sound from Queenstown. Are there any companies with smaller boats? Any difference between companies Mitre Peak or Great Sights? It seems like it would be better to bring our own lunch, since reviews said lunches were overpriced and terrible.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford sound tour smaller boats?

We did a cruise with Mitre Peak earlier this year, and the smaller boats they use are great. Near the end of the cruise, we were dropped off at the MIlford deepwater observatory for an hour or so, and we then took a different boat back to the wharf. That final leg back was on one of the much larger Real Journey's boats, and the large crowds of people on that vessel was not as enjoyable. For my liking, there were too many people cramned around a few outdoor viewing spots to take photos. The Mitre Peak boat was much more relaxed. We packed a few drinks and sandwiches for the ride, and ate them during the cruise at our leisure.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford sound tour smaller boats?

I was delighted with my trip with Mitre Peak Cruises. Here's my review tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g612500-d941…

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford sound tour smaller boats?

There is a price variation between Mitre Peak and Great Sights and there are differences. The cruise boat is smaller with Mitre Peak but that can be a disadvantage in rough weather. The larger red boats or Real Journeys boats are much smoother if the weather is rough and because the fjords are deep they can still get up as close to the wild life as any other smaller boat.

I agree the lunches offered by all these companies is not good but there is one exception. Real Journeys offer a top buffet meal on some cruises and the quality of food is excellent. Cost was about $29 but is not available on all cruises.

Real Journeys and Great Sights are at the top end of day trips to Milford Sound and their prices reflect that. Most visitors want as many stops as possible especially along the Milford road and I would personally go for one of the smaller companies that uses a luxury coach with glass roof.

I noticed on my last visit to Milford Sound some tour operators miss out on the Chasm and it is nice 15-20 minute walk into the bush so however you book with make sure they stop at the Chasm.

4. Re: Milford sound tour smaller boats?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 12:05
5. Re: Milford sound tour smaller boats?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 07:04
6. Re: Milford sound tour smaller boats?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2011, 04:16