We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skiing holiday with first time kids and expert adults

brisbane
4 posts
Save Topic
skiing holiday with first time kids and expert adults

We are planning a reunion for a special occasion with a group of friends including 4 kids under 8 yrs (5 year old has never even seen snow) and adults who are intermediate and expert black run skiers.

Would love recommendations on where to go - resorts and accommodations.

thanks

sue

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: skiing holiday with first time kids and expert adults

With children of this age you should take 'path of least resistance', which happily also leads to equally the Southern Lakes premier ski resort - Coronet Peak. Excellent learner facilities, excellent 'vertical' & long runs for the expert skiers.

Accommodations: endless............you need to indicate your budget or go to definitive listing:

queenstown-nz.co.nz/information/…

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: skiing holiday with first time kids and expert adults

Of the two learner slopes I think the Remarks is the better of Coronet Peak and The Remarkables, but access to the Remarkables is more difficult. As a learner skier I am not qualified to comment on the ski runs.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,290 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: skiing holiday with first time kids and expert adults

Hi,

If you are used to the conditions in Oz you will love both Coronet Peak and the Remarkables. Having visited a few times now we generally go to the Remarkables but Coronet Peak is fun too, albeit a bit more crowded by NZ standards but not by Oz. We ski blue and black runs and always seem to have at least one beginner with us. My advice buy a package and ski both.

Cheers,

Melbourne
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: skiing holiday with first time kids and expert adults

We just returned from Queenstown yesterday and can tell you we skiied at Coronet peak twice and it is fabulous. My husband and 2 children (14 and 12) were learning to ski and I am intermediate and this resort is very well equipped to make it easy for families.

We saw so many younger children in ski lesson and day care groups from little tiny tots up, it seemed to be very well run and the instructors we heard coaching the little kids were all very nice. The beginner area has 3 short runs with the "magic carpet" conveyor belt which makes it easy for everyone to get back up to the top.

We planned to go to The Remarkables as well but bad weather caused it to be closed the day we were going (last Wednesday). According to our instructor at CP The Remarkables is wonderful but you need a good weather day as it faces north.

We did a package (at the Snow Centre in town - so easy) for the day passes, lesson, gear etc. and it's a very easy 15-20 min drive up there on good clear road.

5. Re: skiing holiday with first time kids and expert adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2011, 04:17