We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crown Range in Motorhome??

Australia
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Crown Range in Motorhome??

We're flying into Christchurch and picking up a motorhome for 10 days.

Just looking at some websites and the road from Wanaka to Queenstown over the Crown Range looks a little hairy... can someone tell me if it's "do-able" in a motorhome or is it wiser to go via Cromwell?? I would like to go to Arrowtown but we could go from Queenstown end if more suitable in Motorhome??

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crown Range in Motorhome??

The Crown Range was one of the roughest toughest roads in the country for quite some time. Rental companies used to expressly forbid travel on it. However this was all in the distant past, well perhaps 20 years ago.

It has been bought up to quite a decent standard now. It is quite steep and has some of the more spectacular views anywhere. The climbing bit on the Arrowtown end does not take that long and most motorhomes have more power than you can poke a stick at. Outside of the snowy icy season I would drive over here with no reservations. I would take my time and pay attention. Stop to get the photos, don't try it while you are driving!

However if you do decide it's not for you, the drive along the lake and through Cromwell, while a bit longer, is still a very nice drive.

Edited: 10 October 2010, 06:15
Australia
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crown Range in Motorhome??

Thanks so much for that Mike, we'll take it easy and stop for photos!! It does really look like a very picturesque route... as does all of the South Island!

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crown Range in Motorhome??

We drove this road in a 6 birth motorhome this was in November so not during the winter, and the vehicle coped with it no problems. When we drove it we found that there wasn't a lot of traffic. The last little bit had quite a few twists and turns so we just took it steady but the brakes on the motor home coped very well. We found that everybody we came across on this road was driving to the conditions so it made for a very pleasant journey.

There is some beautiful scenery to see and we found plenty of places where we could pull off the road to take pictures and stop for a drink etc.

brisbane
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crown Range in Motorhome??

Hi LarnAustralia. We have only recently returned from a lovely holiday, touring some of the South Island in a 6 berth motorhome. Yes, the Crown Range is 'full of twists and turns', but, thankfully, you shouldn't encounter any ice or snow at that time of the year! THe road is bitumen all the way. There are many areas to pull over and take photos. Use these areas to let other cars/motorhomes pass you, if needed. You will love it!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crown Range in Motorhome??

Thanks so much to you all for your replies. I'm very relieved to hear that motorhomes are ok to take on this road.

Counting down the days now!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crown Range in Motorhome??

What direction do you intend to drive? wanaka to qt or QT to wanaka?paricular care is required when wanaka to QT on the down hill section to make sure you hold your progress down hill by selecting a very low gear then monitoring your engine revs with your brakes.If you were to drive down with out holding it using the gears, you become dependant on brakes which will definetly fail near the bottom with serious consequences.

always take care on the down hills

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crown Range in Motorhome??

We too drove a 6 berth campervan from Wanaka to Queenstown over the Crown Range Road and loved the drive and the scenery. There was still a little bit of snow at the very top which we loved seeing. We took it slow going down which is inevitable anyway because there are so many turns that you have to go down through the gears to negotiate. We were distracted by a film crew that was set up all along the road on the decent and so we were going slow in the hope of seeing somebody famous.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crown Range in Motorhome??

I travel the crown range often and consider myself a reasonably experienced driver but i would not recommend driving 6 berth campervans over this road.

The scenery is fantastic, but for your own safety and for that of other road users consider driving via Cromwell.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crown Range in Motorhome??

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I think we'll have a chat to the locals in Wanaka before setting out and make a decision based on all your advice and weather conditions at the time.

Much Appreciated... thankyou.

10. Re: Crown Range in Motorhome??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2011, 05:15