We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

We will be in New Zealand in June for 18 days. We are planning on visiting Auckland, Rotorua, Nelson and Christchurch.

Every time I get ready to buy the airline tickets from Rotorua to Nelson, I hesitate because I am having second thoughts about not going to Queenstown. I have spent many hours working on this itinerary. If we were visiting in the summer, we would definitely go to Queenstown. Being that we are not going to ski or bungy jump, I am wondering if Nelson may be better. We have 3 kids ages 12, 13 and 16. Which town would have the most for us to do? I would really appreciate any comments!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

Dont leave out Queenstown. Even if you dont ski or bungy there are plenty of activities to keep kids young and no so young enthralled.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 00:09
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

Will there be lots for us to do in June and early July?

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

There are lots of good walks, you can try the Shotover jet boat (wrap up well), or a trip to Walter Peak. On a nice day it is hard to beat the scenery around Queenstown - but if you drive up the road just past Glenorchy you will find that in fact you can! You can also visit Milford sound (by coach or air), but at that time it can be a bit marginal due to the road closing for avalanche risk.

Overall, I think most would agree that Queenstown has a bit more variety than Nelson, which you might find a little quiet especially at that time of year.

sunshine coast qld
Level Contributor
75 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

That is such an easy question to answer - Queenstown is a clear winner by miles!!!!!! Just go into "Things to Do" in both towns and you will clearly see what town has the most activities! Nelson is a lovely place but as previously posted a bit on the quiet side especially if you have children.

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

I vote for Queenstown as well, especially with kids. There is so much to do there. At the information centre (i-site) you can get a brochure on things to do with kids. Even if you don't ski, it is a short drive up to Coronet Peak to play in the snow (usually the ski fields open toward the end of June) Nelson is nice but I think more of a summer destination with the beaches etc. Queenstown is great at any time of the year.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,642 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

I agree that Nelson is not a good choice for June unless you plan to walk the Abel Tasman Track or kayak. Beach activities are not much fun in cold weather!! June is usually too early for skiing in QTN but the mountains should be looking beautiful

Oz
Level Contributor
11,904 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

Hi,

Really the choice is a "no brainer". Spend the 18 days with Queenstown as your base and you won't run out of things to do without any snow or adventure activities.

There are many tours, side bar trips to the sounds, walks and activities to say nothing of the scenery, places like Wanaka and Arrowtown and the wineries. You might even hire some ski clothes and take some lessons or snow shoe walks.

Cheers,

starsparkles
Level Contributor
157 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

Having been to both and not even loving Queenstown it is so easy- go to Queenstown! Nelson is really not a tourist destination...it is a jumping off point to the Abel tasman track towns (an hour away) or the wine regions...no reason to go there. Please trust us!

Edited: 02 February 2011, 02:58
New Zealand
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

Go to Queenstown. An hour away is Wanaka which has a great puzzleworld and maze that is a lot of fun. Plus as others have said there are lots of other things to do in the area.

Nelson doesn't have a lot to offer in winter.

10. Re: June trip: leave off Nelson or Queenstown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 February 2011, 00:35