We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south new zealand beaches

Houston, TX
8 posts
Save Topic
south new zealand beaches

what are the best beaches to hit in south new zealand? i love white sand beaches. are there any in this area?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: south new zealand beaches

Alan, did you find this site on your google travels?

www.catlins-nz.com/bill.html

As you will see there are many golden sand beaches throughout the Catlin area, Ron hopefully will come back and tell you which one he was referring to but fear not my friend, you will get to see a lovely beach somewhere in your travels.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: south new zealand beaches

The beach Ron would be refering to is Tautuku Bay. Beautiful crescent of golden sand about 2-3 miles long. It on the Southern Scenic route, and the best view is from the north end. The road passes over a small hill between Tautuku and Papatowai, and there is a layby you can pull into.

Hope ndot isn't like another American about 30 years ago. He and his wife were sailing their 40-50 ft yacht past Tautuku bay in awfull weather, and he decided to take shelter in the estuary at the south end of the beach. I don't know what sort of chart he was using, but I suspect it might have been a road map, or perhaps a world atlas, because the estuary is only about 6 feet deep at high tide, and at low tide you can wade across it. Anway, he screwed up, and the yacht was wrecked on the rocks outside the estuary. Lay there for years, until the sea reclaimed it. Fortunately they both got off OK, so I guess it had a sort of happy ending.

Hows that for some locat history?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: south new zealand beaches

The Catlins is an area between Invercargill and Balclutha and one of New Zealand's best kept secrets. An area of forest parks and isolated beaches off the beaten path.

I have a photo on my photo gallery of the beach:

jeber.com/Members/ronlaughlin/Gallery/133/

I think it is about number six but it is named anyhow so you

can't miss it.

Hardly any tourist gets to see this area as it is located outside the regular routes. Most Kiwis haven't even been there.

Many great DOC camps and also a good camp at Curio Bay.

The beach I have reference to is between Tautuku and Papatowai.

It has a name but it escapes me right now. I doubt if it csan be found even on google.

Another fabulous beach area is from Riverton north on Route 99.

Riverton itself has a great beach and then you get to Colac Bay. Next my favoutire in the area just a few more kilometres is the beach at Monkey Island and but a few more kilometres is a beach named Gemstone Beach where you can actually pick up hands full of real gemstones. We park at these a lot when in the area. Most of the time there is absolutely no one else around.

Texas
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: south new zealand beaches

Ron your pictures are amazing! Thank you for sharing the link... makes it even harder for me to narrow down where to go!

Katherine

New Zealand
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: south new zealand beaches

I have posted a photo of the Catlin's beach at:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g255119-Activiti…

if anyone wishes to have a look.

Perhaps one of you knowledgable folks

would like to add the words for it?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: south new zealand beaches

How does "WOW" sound Ron, don't think any other words can do it justice (you sure you haven't got a little box of tricks in that camera of yours?) :)

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: south new zealand beaches

Have a read of this article about the Catlins.

southlandnz.com/sites/…Catlins.pdf

The 'golden sands' that Ron mentionned in his post were probably just meant as a general comment about most of the beaches along that part of coastline.

18. Re: south new zealand beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 00:20