We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NZ winter - what to wear?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
NZ winter - what to wear?

Hi, could anyone help with advice on what to wear when traveling to QUeenstown 15-21 June. We would like to try skiing a couple of days but will mainly be site seeing. I'm a bit unsure about how cold it gets and what most people would wear. We have had some advice to buy thermals, layers, gloves and socks but not sure if they are just trying to get a good sale. Is it better to buy snow quality and what brands should we look for. I'm looking at some secondhand items to save money. I live in Brisbane Queensland Australia so our winters are usually around 10-21 degrees so the cold maybe a shock. Thanks

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
345 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NZ winter - what to wear?

The temperature could be around freezing at night, and even lower on the mountains, so all those things would be good to take, along with a warm jacket or fleece.

Not to plug NZ brands on purpose, but Macpac or Kathmandu could be a good source for some of that.

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/

macpac.co.nz/files/…Australia.pdf

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NZ winter - what to wear?

Winter in queens town, means that the sun is behind mountains around 3 pm, so it will feel cold from then on.

A good warm jacket, a nice smart for around your neck, wooly hat and thick socks in sturdy shoes.

When skiing. Overheating can be a problem, so dress in layers so that you can cool down when needed. It does feel very warm on the snow.

You can hire most ski gear including ski gloves, hat, ski goggles, jacket pants etc. That will be better than buying if you don't have a lot of use for it when you go home

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,301 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NZ winter - what to wear?

I think Coaster means a "smart SCARF" for round your next (but be careful of loose ends on ski tows) and gloves are also essential. You'll need at least 3 layers when you go outside eg thermal underwear/jumper or sweater/polar fleece or parka. If you don't want to buy thermal long johns try thicker tights to keep your legs warm.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NZ winter - what to wear?

Or you could just wear a long sleeve merino T shirt by one of those gas fake fire places with a glass of Pinot and watch all those clowns out in the cold stuff. It always works for me!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NZ winter - what to wear?

thank you for spotting the typo, yes a skarf i find esential if you want to feel warm

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
320 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NZ winter - what to wear?

A Neck Warmer is safer and easier to wear on the ski field than a scarf, and I agree definately a necessity :-) They're also easy to take off and put in a pocket if you get too warm.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,659 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NZ winter - what to wear?

Hi,

We live in a similar climate to you, however we ski every year and have visited Queenstown for the last several years. We used to own all our own gear but it quickly becomes superceeded and is a pain to pack and carry so now we do the minimalist thing.

We own a full set of merino themals, a balaclava that folds into a beanie, good ski gloves and Gortex 3/4 Jackets with hood. The ski clothes we hire. Around town thermals, jeans, gloves and the jacket are usually all you need once the sun drops. I've packed a jumper every time but failed to ever need to use it. If you hire a car a cheap set of "riggers/mechanics gloves" make the fitting of chains possible without loosing the feeling in your fingers.

If you layer and keep the wind out you will be warm. Like others have said it is amazing how hot you can get on the ski fields when you are exercising, (many times I've stuffed my parka in my backpack), and how cold you can get on a ski lift that stops in a blizzard, (love the balaclava at these times).

No arguments with KiwiMikey as to brands but would add "Northface".

Hope you enjoy your visit. I bet it won't be your last :).

Edited: 25 March 2011, 04:23
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NZ winter - what to wear?

Love how your mind works...why didn't I think of this, love a good nz wine that's all I drink since my last visit.

Kingaroy, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NZ winter - what to wear?

Hi, I hate to hijack your post 1froggy but I'm heading to Queenstown on April 26th and staying 2 weeks. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me if it will be starting to get cold at this time? I'd love to have gone in winter to try the skiing but had to settle for when I could get leave.

Cheers

10. Re: NZ winter - what to wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 15:19