We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Remarks

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Remarks

Hi all, have been coming to Queenstown for the last 5 years skiing but not to the Remarks as prior to that, several years earlier went to the Remarks and was the scariest trip to a ski field I've ever experienced due to the road. I've heard that it now has a 13 klm section that has guard rails. Other than that, has the road itself improved?

Any feedback would be great as we're coming over end July.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Remarks

Well I'm not sure I can answer your question but 2 years ago I say several cars slide into a gurad rail and our bus trip took 3 buses including a 4wd bus to come down, there were plenty of screems from the passengers inside when we had our first slide. I would NEVER attempt to drive it.

sunshine coast qld
Level Contributor
76 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Remarks

Hi Toshton,

Just from my experience, I first went up the remarks road on a ski shuttle bus from Queenstown years ago BEFORE the extra guard rails went up and being my first time I was absolutely terrified!! Having said that we got there safely and came down safely. Last year I went up in a 4wd with an experienced local driver and I felt comfortable the whole time, more so probably because the guard rails are there. The road is well maintained, don't let it stop you from going up the the fabulous Remarks, go on a ski shuttle bus or with an experienced driver, they are local experienced drivers and know the road backwards. Good Luck and enjoy!!!

Oz
Level Contributor
12,398 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Remarks

Hi,

The road into the Remarkables is "one of the most dangerous in the world and it is suicide to attempt it" that way the lines at the lifts and the cafe will be even shorter for my family :).

Seriously the road into the Remarkables like many alpine roads requires a certain level of skill and the right attitude to negotiate. With or without chains it is as safe or as dangerous as the driver wants to make it.

I haven't seen it this year but certainly last year there were more guard rails, (or maybe I just noticed more?) than the previous five years I have been skiing there. The surface remains gravel and don't forget to keep your seatbelt fastened as it make it easier for the Ambulance staff if they don't have to search for the bodiy.

Cheers,

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Remarks

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

Although I'd really like to go to the remarks again ( great ski field) but I'll have to discuss the risk with rest of family and go from there!

Would definitely never attempt to drive ourselves! Maybe shuttle again or hire private local driver who really knows the road backwards????

Any suggestions on that?

Cheers

new zealand
Level Contributor
49 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Remarks

There are more accidents on the Coronet Peak skifield road than the Remarks!

Coronet Peak road is sealed and people get a false sense of security and drive too fast.

Remarks is not sealed and if you take it easy, dont overtake on corners, put chains on when indicated to, you will be fine!

6. Re: Road to Remarks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 07:19