We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel w/ no car needed

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
71 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel w/ no car needed

Hello, in the beginning planning stages of looking for a hotel for a stay in Queenstown in January of next year. Looking for a centrally located nice hotel where we wouldn't need a rental car to get around (too afraid to drive on the wrong side of the road). Around 150-250NZ night is ok. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel w/ no car needed

Take a look at Wotif www.wotif.com/search/Advanced…

I think St Moritz a good hotel, good location.

Happy plannng :)

sunshine coast qld
Level Contributor
74 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel w/ no car needed

Hi There,

If you have never been to Queenstown before be careful when choosing your hotel, a lot of people don't realise that the majority of hotels are situated on the side of the hill, and although are good hotels not so good location wise ie. easy walk down to the centre of Queenstown but a very steep walk uphill at the end of your day. Some don't mind that but for me personally I prefer a flat walk. I always stay at Novotel Lakeside, location is the best I feel, one minute flat walk to everything in Queenstown, Crowne Plaza is also a good location, and there are others on the flat, just do your homework. I never have a car when I go to Queenstown I prefer to walk and the public transport is terrific, I never have a problem. Enjoy planning your holiday and you will love Queenstown and surrounding areas, just beautiful.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel w/ no car needed

The public transport in Queenstown not only allows you to explore the immediate area without a car it provides a good link to those hotels that are situated on the steep hills.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
71 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel w/ no car needed

Thanks for the advice, I will look into it. Walking up a big hill just to get back to the hotel doesn't sound like much a vacation :)

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel w/ no car needed

Hi!

I agree with the above posts - I also did a lot of research and prefer to stay within the town than walk back up - partly bcoz I have a child with me.

However, I think you are planning way too early. Almost 11 months before, you won't find any good deals with hotels, car rentals etc. I tried the same 6 months before travel, but got the best deals only around 2-3 months prior to travel.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel w/ no car needed

We are in Queenstown now....I agree the Novotel or Crowne Plaza would be good locations down by the lake, on more level ground and a nice no-drama choice. the hills are steep and if you would not enjoy that, stay by the lake. Look at the reviews to help choose. Once down by the lake there are many places to dine and shop and the tours leave for there.

7. Re: Best hotel w/ no car needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 23:35
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel w/ no car needed

Believe it or not, our Virgin Australia flight out got cancelled and we had an extra night in Queenstown...at the Novotel Lakeside. It was fine....rooms were basic but comfortable, good bed and bathroom setup. Breakfast was OK but seems too pricey for what it is (we used the voucher for it and it was about $20 pp) so you might want to eat breakfasts at some of the other places nearby.

9. Re: Best hotel w/ no car needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2013, 10:21