We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Jucy!

Auckland
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Jucy!

I see lots of good comments, could these be from people who have never rented a car before?

I recently rented a 10 seater van for 5 days from Jucy. What a heap of junk that was! Sounded like a wheel bearing was about to explode or that a tire was rubbing on a fender, but I couldn't see the source of the noise.

Then when I needed 3 extra hours to drop off the van (due to a later than expected flight out) they would only let me keep the van 3 more hours by charging an extra day! I begrudgingly paid it as it was better than sitting at the airport for 3 extra hours or making a special trip to drop off the van.

The final straw was when I filled the tank at the petrol station less than a kilometre from the airport, until the pump clicked and wouldn't take more fuel. When I dropped it off they said the tank wasn't full and wanted to charge me a $20 service fee. So I drove back to the petrol station and had the attendant squeeze in 2 more litres of fuel and went back to Jucy and was told it still wasn't full, despite being able to physically see the fuel at the top of the tank! Then the ex-backpacker Jucy transient worker flicked the fuel gauge and the needle promptly popped up to full and he declared "Oh, that gauge is broken"! I could have belted him right on the spot and asked if I could now charge him a $20 service fee.

I've rung Jucy to complain and all they did was offer me a voucher for a day of car hire next time I rent from Jucy, but the problem is I will never rent from them again. Do yourself a favour and just stick with top tier rental companies that have real cars and real service, not some "paint the fleet lime green to look hip and cool" backpacker-staffed half baked car rental company. It's like the McD's of car rental companies, an adult came up with the concept and staffed it with pimply face high school kids who are without a clue and have no understanding of customer service. The need some adult supervision!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beware of Jucy!

The experience described by the OP sounds remarkably similar to my own. I didn't want to rent a low-quality vehicle but the only available 10 seater in the region was in Jucy's fleet.

I also got mucked around when trying to return the van that i had drive straight from the petrol station 1 km away. They insisted it was not full and sent me back - the attendant at BP told me he was used to seeing this and said to give him a call if necessary so that he could confirm it was not possible to fit any more fuel in.

I was lucky I didn't miss my flight due to the incompetence of the Jucy staff that day.

So before lambasting Mike-karter for choosing a low budget vehicle, consider the limited options available in the small town of Queenstown and the fact he probably had very little choice.

And in my case, it wasn't even particularly cheap, apart from the quality and comfort.

(and is anyone else struck by the irony that Jucy's biggest fan in this thread doesn't know how they spell their name despite having been a regular customer?)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beware of Jucy!

Mike

while I do not agree with hire companies policy of charging a full day for any extra, the point I was making is that almost all companies do that and have done for many years.

The second coment was with regard to hiring vehicles and there are many comments made by customers of hire cars and extra charges. The comments I made is in general form as many people read these posts and if we can save them some grief from ther rental then we have helped.

I fail to see what that has to do with whether or not myself or the previous respondent to your problem are or are not involved in the tourism industry.

I am surprised that you drove the car for 5 days with what you thought to be

"Sounded like a wheel bearing was about to explode or that a tire was rubbing on a fender" and you didnt do anything about other than to risk everybody on board. perhaps you should have contacted them imeadiatly with your concern.

"Typical of people who don't truly understand customer service, and people who like to stand behind policies and procedures. I appreciate the Jucy response because at least they made no excuses, but the other two responders who don't seem to work for Jucy did make excuses."

your OP was not about the condition of the car, It was about customer service from Jucy that you were writing about. My comments were to help other who read this to hopefuly avoid such pit falls, I was not defending or making excuses

13. Re: Beware of Jucy!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 September 2012, 22:35
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beware of Jucy!

Welcome to the forum Nudels :)

I hope your disappointment with Jucy didn't mar your NZ trip.

I am curious about the age of the car. I've never used Jucy but living in a tourist mecca, I see plenty of wee Jucy cars on the road and they all seem nearly new and in excellent condition, from the outside at least.

their budget line - El Chepo - has far older cars. And the website quite clearly states << The El Cheapo is great for the budget traveller! Having been on tour around New Zealand for a few years already, they're slightly older (and wiser) and have around 200,000km or more>>

so to claim 'Jucy deal with much older cars' is only half true. If you didn't want an older car than why take that option? I'm just confused cos as you say, you get what you pay for. You presumably paid for an older car and then complain it's old? of course, that doesn't mean your car should stink - I suppose you weren't able to return it sooner to swap vehicles?

As I said, hope this didn't ruin your holiday :)

15. Re: Beware of Jucy!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 September 2012, 23:05
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Beware of Jucy!

I have rented a campervan from Jucy, close to 200,000km vehicle I think, no probs, they took time to explain both my contract and the vehicle and answer my dumb questions. And inspected with me on return. And took note of 2 non safety related things I mentioned that would only be picked up.on a long drive, not in a workshop lookover. Excellent customer service in my experience (even if provided by 'backpacker staff').

Re the extra hour charge. Some (not many) major rental companies say one hour extra when returning free, any more costs per hour, and no, the hourly charge bears no relation to the daily one, a couple of hours can be as much as a day

17. Re: Beware of Jucy!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 11:17