We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bacolod, Philippines
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

We're planning to drive from Queenstown to Wanaka on November but I couldn't seem to find any driving directions that wouldn't pass through the Crown Range. Also, how long would the trip be if we won't pass it?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

If you take the Crown Range (it's well signposted, you can't miss it) the drive takes 45 minutes Q'town to Wanaka. If you continue past the Crown Range and go via Cromwell the drive is about 90 minutes.

I just looked at Wanaka on Google maps - click on directions - enter Queenstown - it gives you the route via the Crown Range.

Bacolod, Philippines
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

We prefer NOT to go via Crown Range. But what do u suggest? Do u think that passing through Crown Range is better coz it's shorter?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

No, neither route is 'better', they each have advantages.

If not wanting to go via the Crown Range then simply drive towards Cromwell. once there continue to Wanaka. A road map is a wonderful aid when planning any road trip :)

Bacolod, Philippines
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

Oh ok. :) can u tell me a little bit of the advantages of both routes?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

Crown Range - NZ's highets public road - gorgeous veiws - a good walk at the top up through the tussock for even more amazing views - stop at Cardrona Hotel - a historic gold era hotel/pub/restaurant

Via cromwell - stop to watch (or jump) at the bungee bridge - stop at some (or all!!) of the boutique vineyards enroute for tastings and/or good food - in Dec/Jan enjoy the fresh fruit and cherries sold at the side of the road - stop at the 45th meridian on the shore of Lake Dunstan... you are exactly half way between the Equator and the South Pole!

Bacolod, Philippines
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

Wow! Thanks a lot! We'll do that. ;)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

20 or 30 years ago the Crown range had a deserved reputation as a roa for the adventourous. Rental car companies even excluded it it. However, that is all changed. It is sealed and in excelent condition. I would not let any concerns about safety etc put me off at all. It is only the Queenstown end that is steep.

If I was going to and from Qieenstown/Wanaka I would go one way there, the other back as bot routes are stunning.

Bacolod, Philippines
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

What do u mean by bot routes? I'm a little skeptical of driving there coz it'll be my first time driving on the left side of the road and a little afraid of heights. :( so i'm worried about the "steep" roads. Are they really that steep?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

dangerousroads.org/australia/1080-crown-rang…

and the first part of this video is the Crown Range scene.co.nz/downhill-death-wish/297710a1.page

I think the Crown Range is best suited for the experienced and confident driver. You will be much happier and much safer going via Cromwell.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving directions from Queenstown to Wanaka

I think Mike meant "both" routes - "bot" was a typo. :)