We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jetboat thrill rides on Shotover

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,281 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
jetboat thrill rides on Shotover

I am still a bit confused about the options here. What companies do this and what are the differences?

I have found the Kawarau jet and I like that it starts from Queenstown, but I gather is does not go too far into the Shotover Canyon. Is this correct? Does taking this have you miss the most thrilling part of the Shotover Canyon?

Is it better to take one that starts up the canyon? I gather the Shotover jet does this and that sometimes they helicopter you to the starting point, while if the road is passable they bus you in.

Has anyone done both of these and can compare the experience?

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: jetboat thrill rides on Shotover

Quick Summary:

1. Kawarau Jet travels across lake then up lower Shotover River but does not go into the most exciting part of Shotover which is the canyon area

2. Shotover Jet starts & finishes at Arthurs Point. A shorter [30min] but more exciting ride. No helicopter option, as Arthurs Point is just 10 min drive from Qtn

3. Skippers Canyon Jet operates in the upper reaches of Shotover River approx 1hr from Queenstown. 30min jetboat trip. Heli transport options are available

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,281 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jetboat thrill rides on Shotover

Thank you so much. So how does the ride on The Skippers Canyon Jet compare to the other two?

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: jetboat thrill rides on Shotover

Now you enter the area of subjective opinion. Pundits will generally agree that in order of excitement the trips rate:

1. Shotover

2. Skippers

3. K Jet

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jetboat thrill rides on Shotover

Hi to all QT tourism experts out there,

Anyone knows of any online discounts that I can use towards Shotover Jet?

Thanks!

chch
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: jetboat thrill rides on Shotover

What about the thunder jet, how does that compare to the shotover jet which is quite expensive ($129 for 20 minutes), where as there is a special on for the thunder jet for $66. Is it worth paying double the price for the shotover jet?

Auckland
Level Contributor
178 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jetboat thrill rides on Shotover

Trip identical to K Jet. I'd rate same as K Jet - see 3 posts above. There is a good reason that Shotover commands higher price

America
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: jetboat thrill rides on Shotover

My opinion is the Shotover is by far the most thrilling...by far!! No other jet boat ride in NZ (or anywhere else on the panet I reckon) compares to the Shotover in bang-for-the-buck thrills and excitement.

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jetboat thrill rides on Shotover

we got some good deals on bookme.co.nz, you can try that!

9. Re: jetboat thrill rides on Shotover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 22:18