We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Queenstown

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Queenstown

We arrive (from the UK) in Queenstown on Christmas Eve early afternoon - is there any chance we can pick up the groceries needed for a family Christmas lunch that afternoon? if so any suggestions - we're staying in Queenstown. Many thanks.

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Queenstown

Queenstown's various shopping precincts are quite spread out. Referring only to downtown-Queenstown, this areas 2 supermarkets & several mini-markets will be open until evening on Christmas Eve. In order of product range, Fresh Choice followed by Alpine Supermarket are recommended

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Queenstown

Queenstown's various shopping precincts are quite spread out. Referring only to downtown-Queenstown, this areas 2 supermarkets & several mini-markets will be open until evening on Christmas Eve. In order of product range, Fresh Choice followed by Alpine Supermarket are recommended

Edited: 17 November 2012, 19:19
Queenstown, Otago...
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Queenstown

Don't go to Fresh Choice / or Alpine Supermarket ... they are too expensive. Go to Remarkables Shopping Centre and go to " New World " - it is the largest supermarket in Queenstown. Much cheeper and better variety. The locals shop here .... they don't go to Alpine ( it is a rip off ) .... I hope you enjoy your Christmas in Queenstown - you have picked a wonderful location to be ... take care

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Queenstown

Many thanks to both of you - that's very helpful. Although I should say we are having second thoughts because of mix of jetlag and cooking in an unfamiliar house - if we are looking at eating out on Christmas Day is there anywhere you would recommend? Thanks again.

Leicester
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Queenstown

Glad you asked that question Lainnick as I'd been having similar thoughts- we will spend Christmas on north island- Cathedral Cove. I don't remember seeing New World there-quite remote but if you find the New World in Queenstown would definitely recommend it! Never done Christmas in summer time so whilst we are wanting to embrace it- bbq on the beach, swim in the sea etc, we also want a little bit of tradition- thinking about having an evening meal of Turkey with all the trimmings-any tips from anybody as to where I might get these things please? We will arrive in Hahei on 23rd Deceber having travelled up from Hawkes Bay via Taupo the day before. Oh another thought, can I get Christmas crackers in NZ? Hope you have a great Christmas in Queenstwon Lainnick!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Queenstown

This might help :)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255122-i730-k5003…

LadyD - best ask your questions on the Hahei or North Island forum - this thread is Queenstown based. And yes, you can get Christmas crackers in NZ.

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Queenstown

LadyD71 most privately owned restaurants closed Xmas Day. All hotel restaurants will however be open. See this link for some other suggestions www.queenstownnz.co.nz/information/Events/

You need to book very soon

8. Re: Christmas in Queenstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 20:16