We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

My family are coming over from the UK to spend Christmas in Queenstown and we are planning to cook a traditional UK Christmas dinner - complete with turkey! Based on some initial research we know that typically people eat ham at Christmas over here, and turkey is hard to come by in normal supermarkets. We have also looked into a butchery in Queenstown but can't seem to locate one - the nearest seems to be Arrowtown which would prove difficult for us to get to. Any suggestions on places we could find a turkey in Queenstown would be very much appreciated!

Thank you! :)

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

Hi there

Lots of people eat turkey at Christmas here - all supermarkets stock turkeys at this time of year.

The New World supermarket in Queenstown will definitely have them.

Depending on when you are arriving, you may be well advised to pre-order one though, as they can sell out close to Christmas.

If you email New World in Queenstown, I would imagine they would be happy for you to pre-order (and pre-pay probably)

newworld.co.nz/south-island/…

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,769 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

Usually an over-supply of turkeys in the supermarkets although if you want a particularly large one it might be better to pre-order.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

Thanks so much for your replies and helpful information. I checked big supermarkets here in Auckland and couldn't find any turkeys so that is why I was unsure but it seems like Queenstown may be different! I have contacted New World and will see what their response is. Thanks again! :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,769 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

It is too early to buy now! They won't bring the turkeys in until the week before Xmas - seldom see them in my local Fresh Choice any earlier either.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

I see! It is only because I had seen loads of hams in my local supermarkets that I thought turkeys wouldn't be available. Plus we have spoken to quite a few locals here who thought that turkeys would be hard to come by. The fact that this isn't the case is great news! :)

Oz
Level Contributor
13,303 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

Hi,

FWIW I've found fewer "turkeys" in NZ than most parts of the world! ;-0

I'm sure if you contact a butcher ahead of time they will get one, of the gobbling kind, in to order for you.

Arrowtown Butchery

Bush Creek Rd, Arrowtown, ARROWTOWN

(027) 449 6409

Cheers,

Edited: 03 December 2012, 01:38
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

You should have no problems getting a turkey right up until CHristmas, but as it will be frozen if purchased from the supermarket you will need time to allow it to thaw. My question is why have a POM christmas , why not give them a kiwi christmas with a barbeque something they wont be used to at Christmas.

Edited: 03 December 2012, 04:47
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

Some supermarkets and butchers will be selling fresh turkeys 5 or so days before Christmas.

I always pre-order a fresh one so I don't miss out, from my local New World, and pick it up a few days before Christmas.

Turkey isn't that common in NZ other than at Christmas unfortunately. I read a number of UK food magazines and it's quite common to see 'turkey mince' or portions of a turkey as an ingredient. In NZ I just substitute good old chicken.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

The Mediterranean Market not only has turkey, but free range turkey - contact details are on their website. Very surprised you can't see turkey in your supermarket in Auckland - there always seem to be a handful on hand (frozen) here in Dunedin.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying a turkey in Queenstown for a UK Christmas

Thanks again for all the really helpful comments :) I have actually emailed the New World in Queenstown and the store manager himself replied to me and helped me to order a fresh turkey there. He was incredibly helpful, providing other advice and tips (I never encountered this kind of customer service by a store manager back in the UK in my 29 years living there!). Turkey is definitely harder to come by generally over here, but I'm just pleased to have pre-ordered one. Thanks again for all the help :)