We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

Hi All,

On our trip to the South Island we have planned trips to Franz Josef Glacier, Fox Glacier, Milford Sound and Aoraki/Mt Cook.

Our trip will be mid/end of June 2013.

As I understand it, all of the above destinations have the availability of a "helicopter component" to enhance your experience.

Now, although we would very much love to be buzzing around in a helicopter at every opportunity - the bank says no.

If you had to choose just one of our stops to utilise the services of a helicopter - which would it be?

Cheers :)

Oz
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

Hi,

That's a very easy decision for me a heli ski outing wins hands down!!!!!!!!!

In your case I would take the air wakatipu Milford sound tour option of fly(fixed wing) QT to Milford/cruise on Milford/ heli glacier landing/ fly back to QT in fixed wing.

This option, weather permitting allows you to see most of the sounds in Fiordland, amazing alpine scenery and a glacier plus you don't have to endure coach travel for 13 hours.

http://www.airwakatipu.com/milford-sound/

Cheers,

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

I wouldn't want to miss the bus ride on Milford Road in June when the mountains will likely be covered in snow. It was spectacular in October because of the amount of snow still left; can't imagine it in the winter proper in June.

If I was going to pick an air trip, it would be skydiving with views of Mount Cook from the Fox Glacier area.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

Thanks for that guys - now I'm more confused haha

South Lake Tahoe, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

I took a heli ride from Fox Glacier last month, and it was amazing! The views of the glacier up close and the towering mountain peaks were unbelievable, plus you get the bonus of seeing all the way out to the ocean. I would highly recommend the trip, as long as you can get a nice weather window. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong- the scenery is beautiful everywhere! Have fun!

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

How long was the trip and how much did it cost - if you don't mind me asking?

Do the helicopters leave from Fox or do they mainly leave from Franz?

South Lake Tahoe, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

They do offer flights from both Franz Josef and Fox, although we found the flights from FJ were about $20 more per person. If I remember correctly, the flights fon Fox were $99/10 min, $199/20 min and so on. For more $, you can combine with a glacier hike, but that's pretty expensive (although we did do the full day glacier hike at Fox and highly recommend that too)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

Which company you recon for helicopter trip jn Fox or FJ?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

Wanaka!!

just brilliant :)

http://fallingleaveswanaka.wordpress.com/

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

Well it seems that there is not a "can't miss" flight?

I guess we will just go with when the weather is best.

Thanks

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
180 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place for a Helicopter trip?

The prices quoted above for the helicopter flights in Franz/Fox are not for the trips that land on the glaciers. The heli-hike flights are around $400. On a clear day, you'll see Cook, the ocean, the glaciers. I think from your previous post, you said that this is your first stop? If the day is clear, I would do it there - if not, then later in your trip.

Many years ago when it was much cheaper, I fly in a small plane from Queenstown to Milford Sounds (in February I think). It was magic. The best part of my month long trip to the South Island. I've also down the bus ride - also magic....

If I had the choice, I'd be picking a flight that also had an activity with it - skiing, hiking, white water rafting.