We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

I have heard this road can be hazardous because of the frequent high speed runs taken by locals which can put other cars at risk. As I have a rental booked and would like to drive up there, I am unsure. Any truth in this or is it just a bit of a myth?

Oz
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

Hi,

If you are a competent driver the road to the Remarks is part of the experience. The problems arise from "nervous nellies" and motorhome drivers.

Cheers,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

I haven't driven up the Remarkables in winter but my experience on other skifield access roads, it isn't the locals you need to look out for, but the inexperienced visitors who are unused to mountain roads, unused to snow and unused to steep drop-offs so they drive slowly in the centre of the two lane roads and hold up all traffic in both directions.

And yes, the locals who go skiing every day do tend to drive faster than others, I find it isn't a problem to pull over the let them pass me, as I do with all traffic which wants past (and I am usually on the fast side myself).

If concerned take the bus.

Safe travels :)

Oz
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

Hi,

I forgot to add that over the last several years the addittion of safety barriers and passing bays has taken much of the interest out of the road to the Remarks. It used to be regarded as a biological control for "terrorists". Now it is just Remarkable that they managed to get the road in.

Cheers,

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
156 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

The Remarks road in winter time is maintained by a grader operator throughout the ski season as the road is gravel for the most part. The road itself is ok for you to drive with care and follow the signage as well for speeds etc. We have had no real problems on the road, occasionally have had tourists going real slow but that's understandable.

The views are great and there is a spot or two to safely pull over to take pics if you wish.

The road is busy at times and does have buses using it as well.

If you feel confident enough to drive a hilly and twisty road then you will have no problems. Parking at the top is well set out and caters for a number of cars and buses.

cheers

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

The access road is ok now.

One has to drive according to your abilities.

Keep to the left , let the faster traffic go through and if it has a lot of snow on it go to the Coronet peak.

This is why I prefer Coronet peak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX0x_Q3fcDg

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

Hey Trelawn, the Coronet Road doesn't really count as a ski field acess road, it's probably taimer than some of the other roads in the area in the Summer :)

I agree with the other poster that the drive up the Remarkables is a positive part of the experience, It really doesn't matter where you drive, there is always a chance of coming across an idiot.

South Island, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

I agree with past comments that the road can scare a few people but can also be part of the charm. It's certainly a bumpy one if the grader hasn't come through due to corrigations and although 4WDs are great going up the hill, it's coming down after a tiring day that can sometimes be the interesting bit especially if it starts to snow or freeze over.

The locals know the road and yes on the whole it is the new visitors that have not driven in those conditions before and ones that stop on the corners (when you need to keep the momentum going) that causes the issues.

If you are getting a rental car make sure they give you chains when you pick it up and show you how to put them on.

RENTAL CAR: Advantages are you have flexibility when you want to go up the mountain and come back down and with 4 or more people it's cheaper than the bus.

The downside is you have to fit the chains yourself (and they always need to go on when it's cold, wet and muddy on the road). There is also that on busy days you may need to walk a long way from your car to the base building

MOUNTAIN BUS: The downside: You have to go according to the bus timetable and it's slightly more expensive

The plus side of taking the bus: The driver does all the hard work and puts the chains on in the cold and snow while you sit in the warm. You get dropped off right at the base building. You get to sleep on the way down after a hard day in the snow

There are 2 bus companies. NZski you have to meet at a central point in town and wait in line, Kiwi Discovery picks you up from your hotel so no waiting but are slightly more and you have to book it the night before.

Unless you are staying way out of town, with the recent changes in parking where free parking is not easy to find, you can actually go without a rental car while in Queenstown as the Connectabus service is great and most activities will pick you up from your accommodation anyway

Other top tip is to avoid the July school hols if possible, VERY busy then!

Mentioned in this post
Nzski
Nzski
19 Reviews
Queenstown, New Zealand
Kiwi Discovery
Kiwi Discovery
50 Reviews
Queenstown, New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

I found that the chain hire people that work on the road will fit your own chains for you, but charge for that. When I did this, I concidered it $ well spent.

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

Sorry, I should have said we are going in February - a couple of weeks' time. So the snow/ice is not the issue, what I am worried about is stones being thrown at my car from passing traffic (either locals or tourists I suppose!) I am worried Avis will gip me if a) I'm hit by them or b) tell me I shouldn't have driven on the road because there was a likelihood this could happen as it's a gravel road.

I don't know how strict they are with the terms of contract. If someone runs into me on a gravel road can Avis say that I shouldn't have been on it and void my insurance?

Edited: 05 February 2013, 04:03
10. Re: Concerned about the Remarkables ski road in a rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 05:18