We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive tour south island nz

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
drive tour south island nz

can someone help me with my itenerary:

i want to go to these places by land: christchurch, mt cook, queenstown, milford sound, doubtful sound, te anau, then fly to north island. we want to have overnight cruise in milfor and doubtful sounds.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive tour south island nz

How many days will you have? what time of the year?

I woukld tend to travel christchurch -> Mt Cook -> teAnau then from TeAnau do the over night trips to Milford Sound and Doubtfull sounds, then on to Queenstown and either fly back to Christchurch (or Sydney) or travel to Wanaka, then up the west Coast taking in the glaciers, via Arthur's Pass to Christchurch

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive tour south island nz

Welcome to the forum :)

Details such as time of year and how long you plan to be in NZ is always a good starting point. The more you tell us, the better we can help you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive tour south island nz

thanks btw were doing this trip in Jan next year. hows the travel by car in those places. is there a lot of twisty and cliffy road on the way there?

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
156 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive tour south island nz

January is holiday time for both Aus and N.Z and therefore can be quite busy - this said - pre-booking accommodation, flights and car hire earlier rather than later is advisable.

Yes, the roads are twisty, narrow and hilly in a lot of places, but can be traveled safely using common sense and adhering to signage. The road to Milford from TeAnau is awesome and definitely worth the drive with care.

Would suggest choosing one or the other 'Sound' to do an overnighter as they are similar in some ways - this would allow you more time to see other destinations worthy of visiting in your travels.

Let us know the amount of time you have for the south island so we can suggest a route that will include the places you have mentioned to see.

There are several itineraries for 7-10 days already listed on the forum and can be accessed by the search tag. They may help give you ideas on where and which way you wish to travel.

cheers :)

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: drive tour south island nz

I agree with the poster above the overnight in Doubtful is amazing. In my opinion Milford Sound is best as a day trip from Queenstown. Coach cruise fly is considered the ultimate way to see it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive tour south island nz

thank you for a very nformative response. maybe well stay in the south island around 10 days that leaves us another 10 days for north island. we have about 19 days for both island. i dont know if there is a lot in the north to spend 10 days. in the south i want to go to christchurch then queenstown and see whats nice along the way from c'church to q'town. i might agree wit the traveller suggesting to do doubtful sound overnight and day in milford. what do you think. i might get a coach to bring us to the sounds. i also like to go to glow worm in te anau. i saw a great review of it.

any thoughts on the norht island please. thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drive tour south island nz

if doing Chch, Q'town. Milford and Doubtful in 10 days you will need to fly half the trip as 10 days just won't do it.

The South Island is considerably larger than the North Island plus you state you don't know if there is a lot to do in the North Island so why devote half your time to it?

Concertrate on the South Island this visit and leave the North for another trip - it isn't like you have far to travel !

8. Re: drive tour south island nz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 07:16