We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

melbourne
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

Hi, I'm travelling with my mother in her 80s, flying into Queenstown start of April for 4 nights there ( could extend if you think that's a good idea )and fly home via Christchurch with a total of 10 nights in South Island. Any suggestions for driving, staying places?

Thanks

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,860 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

Although beautiful, QTN has more for young people. You might find 2nights there and 2 nights Wanaka to be more to your liking. Wanaka is where NZers prefer to holiday. Autumn colours should be lively there in April.

If you are up to longish drives you could then drive 4-5 hours to Fox or Franz Josef Glacier (2N);

7. FJG to Punakaiki

8. Punakaiki to Chch

9. Explore Chch

10. Day trip to Akaroa

11. fly home.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

I live and work in queenstown, although it is a young person paradise there is plenty to do. Irtravelled the south island with my girlfriends parents. Queenstown check out the gondilla & the luge skippers canyon, wine tasting in amisfield, gibson valley, tss erslaw to walters peak, then have a look at either milford or doubtful sounds keeping in mind you need a fulll day for this as its a 4 hour drive away. I think 4 days would be suffice, also pop out to arrowtown about a 15 minute drive. After queenstown you have the option of travelling to franz joseph/fox glacier, keep in mind the 5 hour drive,

Wanaka can be checked out going to or from franz j

Check out Mt Cook on the way to Christchurch,

Tip re accommodation Christchurch, book early as christchurch accommodation is limited

Anything else let me know

Tom

melbourne
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

Thanks for this advice. I think we'll keep the 4 day booking at The whistller in Queenstown. Lots of questions here:

Do you think we should then stay a night or two in Te Anau and drive from there to Milford? Neither my mother or I like very long drives. Otherwise should we "splash out" and do the fly/cruise from Queenstown to Milford Sound?

Is the Franz Joseph or Fox glacier a demanding drive?

Of the remaining days after QT should we go south and from Te Anau go to Invercargill, Dunedin etc and around to Christchurch or up through the centre and stay at Wanaka, then Tekapo a couple of days?I haven't accessed a good map yet but is there a shorter trip to the glaciers via Tekapo?

Our flight from Christchurch is not til 8.45 pm so should we stay in Christchurch or just visit for the day before flying out

I really love the chance to talk to a local to get advice - thanks Tom.

melbourne
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

Thank you Zhuhai for your suggestions. Great to have the opportunity to get advice via forum and weigh up the options.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

The fly/cruise/fly misses the fabulous Milford Road. So yes, stay Te Anau two nights and drive to Milford, cruise, return to Te Anau. And yes, drive to Wanaka the following day.

Driving to Fox/Franz takes an average 6 hours from Wanaka. The drive up to Aorkai/Mt Cook and Tekapo is far easier driving, plus the scenery is stunning. It is a two day drive around the mountains to get from Aoraki/Mt Cook and Tekapo to Franz and Fox.

Aoraki/Mt Cook has NZ's largest glacier, the Tasman - which is quite unique in the world in that it has a terminal lake with icebergs. http://www.glacierexplorers.com/

melbourne
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

Thank you! This is really helpful for planning.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

Really useful reading tips etc.We are travelling to NZ in August and hope to hire a car to see as much as possible over 10 days .We know it will be cool but would appreciate some suggestions for places to visit.We start from Christchurch and need to get a trip in to Wellington. Thanks.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,860 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

Cacophany: You will get more answers if you start a new thread as the DEs will think they have already answered this question.

melbourne
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

OK, thanks for this suggestion.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestions for south island trip 10 nights

I travel regularly with my mother who is also in her 80's. Your mother might be quite different from mine but we find to keep her well while travelling we have to have stops often while driving so she can have endless cups of tea. As we are not into having to buy from cafes all the time we always now take a thermos and some cups with us so we can do some self catering and stop off at scenic spots to enjoy a view while we have a drink and a rest.