We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
raanana
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

Hi

I saw a similar question but would like to be more specific! We are planning to travel to the South Island during July and August which is your winter. Apart from the low temperatures - no problem because we are escaping from a Mediterranean summer! - are there any limitations on scenic activities and things we can do? We are NOT skiers but enjoy scenic views etc. everything looks so fantastic on the websites but I would like to be prepared for the reality and not be disappointed.

Thanks

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

Anything involving water will not be so inviting! Although it will be cold, winter in this area often has lovely sunny days. This with fresh snow on the mountains makes for stunning scenery. Walking, bungy jumping, jet boating etc will all still be good to do.

raanana
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

Thanks! Does that mean that places like Mt Hood will be accessible? What about the really bad winter forecast for this area - don't want to travel thousands of miles to be snowed in my hotel!

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

Where/what is Mt Hood?

California
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

Mt Hood is in Oregon, USA. I suspect the poster meant Mt Cook.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

The severe weather warning is based on astrology. So I wouldn't be too concerned we haven't had a really hard winter for over 30 years.

When we get a heavy snow dump, allow 2 days for most of the roads to be cleared. Then you will have a amazing experience seeing the sights.

The rivers could be frozen over in the upper regions. If that's the case the jet boat rides etc will be a little shorter, That's all.

Winter is a great time to come to the mountains.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

Yes, Mt Hood USA is what I found when I googled. Phew, thought there was a major tourist attraction in my own backyard that I didn't know about and was feeling a bit stupid!

Oz
Level Contributor
11,921 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

Hi,

Unless otherwise stated in the brochure or on the web site there will be weather in Queenstown NZ and surrounds in July and August.

http://www.metservice.com/national/home

Make sure you carry chains and know how to fit them if entering alpine areas, BTW they go on the drive wheels of the car!

Another trap to watch out for when visiting New Zealand in winter is the effect that a sudden cold snap may have on the Kiwi population. Quick frozen Kiwis may at anytime drop from the sky and have been known to smash windscreens and cause injury to walkers. Hard hats are mandated in certain areas and anywhere above 1300m.

Cheers

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

;-)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

Another trap to watch out for when visiting New Zealand in winter is the effect that a sudden cold snap may have on the Kiwi population....

yikes Oz, is that Kiwi or kiwi?

not sure whether to duck from frozen kiwi birds, frozen kiwifruit or frozen Kiwi's!!

Oz
Level Contributor
11,921 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in Queenstown and surrounding areas

Hi WL,

I should have been more specific I'm refering to the avian variety which loose the ability to fly in extreme weather ;-0

The same situation of course applies to the Otago peninsular's penguines.

Cheers,

Edited: 15 May 2013, 06:59