We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days...

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
452 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
How many days...

Hello,

I booked a rountrip flight to Sydney from Chicago for 16 full days. I am planning a trip to South Island. will be flyign from Sydney to Queenstown. How many days would you reccommend to stay? I am active will be traveling with a friend. We want to see all the attractions, hike, horseback ride, hang glide. Any suggestions where to stay in all the action?

Thank you.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days...

You don't say how long you are in NZ for. Is it the whole 16 days or is some of that set aside for Australia?

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
452 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days...

Some of the 16 days would be set aside for NZ.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days...

You are making very common mistake in combining the two countries at once over a short period of time.

Australia is huge, Sydney it self is worth 4 days at least.

If you are going to fly into Queenstown stay 4 nights that will give you 3 full days.

15 days is considered a good length of time to visit the south Island only, a bit rushed but you can do it.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days...

I agree. If you intend to do both countries, you will only have time for a few days in one area, eg Queenstown with a side trip to Milford Sound.

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
452 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days...

What we had in mind was to fly into Christchurch. Rent a car. Stop at Lake Tekapo for lunch and check out the church, on our way through to Mt Cook. Perhaps stay here a night, do a tour. Then from here drive down to Queenstown for a couple nights. It will be December so the roads should be clear. What do you think of this? Did we miss any must-sees on our way down from Christchurch?

THANK YOU

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days...

That sounds doable. At least in December you will have very long days so plenty of sightseeing time - like not properly dark until about 10pm or even later.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,281 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days...

I misunderstood that you were flying SYD-ZQN (Queenstown) , but certainly driving Chch to Mt Cook- QTN over 2 days can be done in about 9 hours driving (5 + 4) and will be very scenic. Lots to do in QTN in a minimum of 2days.

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days...

There is good horse riding out at Glenorchy

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
452 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply