We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound day trip

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Milford Sound day trip

Have been reading about how the Milford Sound day trip from Queenstown is a long day.

Was just wanting everyone's opinion.

Is it worth doing the fly/cruise/fly option or is the drive into the Sound one of the things that you should experience. If so, I may look at doing the coach/cruise/fly option. Others say it is worth trying to do the coach/fly/coach and picking up a cheap flight back that way. We are travelling in April, would we have a good chance of being able to pick up the cheap flight back?

Your help would be much appreciated.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Sound day trip

The road trip to Milford Sound is a special experience. Coach cruise fly from Queenstown is the best way to do it. Most of the flights go back to Queenstown and flights back to Te Anau are less frequent and much harder to source. Not sure what you mean by coach fly coach but don't book your flight back to Queenstown until you get to Milford as it is sometimes possible to get the cheaper standby seats, ask your coach driver for all the options on that day. Its a long day but well worth the effort.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Sound day trip

Meant coach/cruise/coach sorry.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Sound day trip

The flight is lovely, but I think other flights in the South Island more stunning.

So if staying April next year I would stay the night in Te Anau, the following day drive to Milford, cruise then drive back to Te Anau stopping at all the scenic sights and possibly include a hike - Key Summit is 3 hours and lovely.

Then the following day continue on with your trip.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Sound day trip

Unfortunately we are time poor, and that is why I was looking at a day trip from Queenstown. This is instead of driving to Te Anau staying and driving back the next day (thus taking at least 2 days).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milford Sound day trip

I would suggest the you do the coach / cruise / fly.

Its one of the prettiest flights I have done.

6. Re: Milford Sound day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 05:17