We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

Hi, everyone, we are a family of 3( with a 11 year old child) and we are planning to do a 14day trip in the South Island in a campervan. We will be arriving Christchurch on 5/7. Could anyone kindly offer some suggestions as for the best driving route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown? My prime concern is to avoid driving in the snow. Should I take the shorter route via Linda Pass or the longer route to Dunedin first and then to Queenstown?

Thank you very very much for your help.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

Welcome to the forum :)

It will help if you post your enitre planned itinerary rather than one tiny fraction.

From what you say you have chosen an okay route - Chch to Queenstown and up the West Coast back to Chch? - it is actually more scenic if going the reverse direction.

So post your full itienrary and we can possibly help make your visit the best possible :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

It is crazy to spend time going via Dunedin when Tekapo and QT are less than 3 hours apart. Unless extreme weather comes through, the Lindis Pass is most likely to be closed overnight. Leave Tekapo in good time in the morning and you will be fine. It is a reasonably short section of the road that is most affected by snow - over the top. You will be slower in a camper van so leave yourself plenty of time.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

I would try to be in Omarama by lunchtime. This will give you the best opportunity to get over the Lindis Pass if there is any snow or ice around. It will also allow you plenty of time to get from Tekapo to Omarama avoiding any black ice that may be hanging around from the night previous. I would be more concerned about what time you intend crossing Burkes Pass enroute to Tekapo. I have seen this hill turn into a carpark due to ice and snow.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

Thanks everyone for your advice. We've thinking about a campervan trip for a lifetime and my 11 year old is so thrilled about the idea when we told them that we'll be touring around NZ in a camper. All your valuable advice is urgently needed and heart thankfully appreciated ( as you know, we'll be travelling in mid winter).

Below is my entire itinerary.

Day 1– morning arrive Christchurch at 10:00am

Day 2 - Horse Trek

Day 3 – Leaving Timaru to Lake Tekapo

Day 4– Holiday camp to Roundhill skifield

Day 5 – skiing whole day (Lake Tekapo)

Day 6- Lake Tekapo to Queenstown via Linda Pass ( will stop by Salmon Farm)

Day 7- Queenstown

Day 8 - Milford Sound cruise

Day 9 - Queenstown to Wanaka Snow Farm

Day 10 - Queenstown to Dunedin to see the pengiuns and seals

Day 11- Cadbury World Dunedin

Day 12- Dunedin to Christchurch via Oamaru (visit thecheese factory)

Day 13 Christchurch

Day 14 - Fly back.

Please kindly advice.

Thanks

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

Day 1– morning arrive Christchurch at 10:00am

Day 2 - Horse Trek – where is this horse trek? Do one in Queenstown

Better Day 2 – Drive Christchurch – Tekapo – via Fairly

Day 3 – If you’ve never skied before I would not suggest Round Hill, if you are confident and fit, then by all means.

Day 4– Drive Tekapo to Queenstown via Lindis pass

Day 5 – Horse Trek Queenstown

Day 6- Days skiing Queenstown

Day 7- Queenstown

Day 8 - Milford Sound cruise

Day 9 - Queenstown to Wanaka Snow Farm (why the Wanaka Snow Farm??)

Day 10 - Queenstown to Dunedin to see the pengiuns and seals

Day 11- Cadbury World Dunedin

Day 12- Dunedin to Christchurch via Oamaru (visit thecheese factory)

Day 13 Christchurch

Day 14 - Fly back.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

We'll be doing horse trek in Rubicon Valley coz it should be an easier drive from Christchurch ( about 50 mins.)

Why Roundhill? Coz the website said that it will be accessible for Campervan. Oh... we are definitely beginners...

Why Wanaka Snow Farm? Coz my daughter really fancy about the sled dog tour.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

" I would be more concerned about what time you intend crossing Burkes Pass enroute to Tekapo. I have seen this hill turn into a carpark due to ice and snow."

Thanks for your advice and below is my schedule:

Timaru top 10 Holiday Park to Lake Tekapo

- approx. 104km

- time required : 2 hrs

- leave Timaru top 10 at 10:00am , arrive Lake Tekapo 12:00 noon

- sightseeing

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

Coronet Peak is better for beginners and will be more accessible for campervans as the road is sealed, Roundhill is a gravel road.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

I would not go to Round Hill if you have not skied before. You are better off going to either Coronet Peak (Queenstown) or Cardrona (between Wanaka & Queenstown). These are bigger fields and really geared up for beginners - better access, wide range of hire gear, several learner areas, better facilities like cafes etc.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route from Lake Tekapo to Queenstown for a campervan

Thank you very very much for all your advice. This is definitely a "once in a lifetime experience" to travel in a campervan in new new zealand. We have been driving around Australia in 4 winters but never been driving in the snow before so loads of advice and suggestions needed. Cheers!

Regards,

Sueta