We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch to Queenstown

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch to Queenstown

We are arriving @ 5.30 am then getting through the Airport and collective the Campervan I think we should be on the road by 8.30 am after a good stretch and something to eat / good coffee etc.

Want to get to Wanaka by afternoon ( have a keen snowboarder in the trunk ) so will get nagged all the way unless I look like I'm focused on getting there early also.

Which was is the safest and best way...

After i return him to the Airport 7 days later I'm off touring for 7 days round Queenstown... any great ideas on must see and do's would like to know about..

thanks

Milford Sound BBQ Bus
Bus Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Pure Glenorchy Scenic Lord of the Rings Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Film & TV Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Real Journeys
Sightseeing Tours
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown

Welcome to the forum Charmaine :)

Your plans quite alarm me. You plan to arrive in NZ early morning (3:30am Melborune time) and begin driving mid- winter(?) to Queenstown after little to no sleep?!?

In ideal road conditions Chch to Wanaka can take 6 hours in a campervan, expect longer in winter plus we do stress to visitors not to drive before 10am and you plan to be on the road by 8:30am when conditions are most icy. One July it took me 8 hours to drive non-stop Wanaka to Chch in a 4WD Jeep as the road had ice and snow.

This is really not good planning... nor is it safe driving.

Why not fly directly to Queenstown?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown

Ok so a stop on the way is the plan then ?? I booked to fly into Christchurch so we are locked in.. Thanks for you advise we will take our time and take it over 2 days.... I'm happy to do that but it's great to get the same advise from someone else... Is it safe to do this trip I'm not a fast driver by any means so happy to sit on 80 klms .............. what do you think

California
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown

Since you arrive at 5:30am in Christchurch, there certainly is time to catch a connecting flight to Queenstown. Once there, get a motel and relax for the first night. Perhaps your snowboarder could get an afternoon shuttle to the slopes while you rest. Then the following morning, collect your campervan. It's only an hour drive to Wanaka from there.

If the campervan is set for Christchurch, then your best place to stop is Lake Tekapo for the night - if wanting the shortest route. If your snowboarder can muster some patience, then I'd recommend going the detour and spending the night at Mount Cook. The scenery is worth the extra 45 minute drive each way.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown

Ok thanks I think as I have arranged to collect the Van already we will take the extra time and do the stop over I will get a lonley planets book this week.... I actually live in Tasmania so I'm use to frost and smaller roads did the North last year no worries... Am greatful for the forward advise thank you.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,621 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown

Hi,

Despite living in Tassy I really doubt that you are used to driving a truck in the conditions NZ can sometimes throw at you. I hate to "burst your bubble" but driving in NZ bears very little similarity to driving in the apple isle.

If you want to be safe, maintain some sanity, and not hear nagging I wouldn't rush out of Christchurch. Rather take your time and head to Mt Mutt which is only two hours from Christchurch and then further south the next day. That way the snow boarder get a fix and you minimise the "black ice" opportunities.

BTW you do realise that you will have to carry chains and it helps if you know how to fit them! Marvelous fun in fading light in a snow storm at the roadside :-) There are at least two mountain passes between Christchurch and Wanaka on the main road where chains may be required and of course they also may be required on the access roads to the ski fields.

Cheers,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown

OMG ........... i think staying in bed under the doon is a safer option

I am carefully taking all this advise in so thanks to everyone

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown

I think the Mt Hutt suggestion is very good. The drive to Methven is relatively short and easy. Snow bunny can get a shuttle from there at midday while you rest up and then go to the shops to stock the van. snowmanshuttles.co.nz/mountain_transport/met… You'll be out of the city and all prepared for a quick getaway in the morning.

Also, getting back to Christchurch for the drop-off and then going back to Queenstown will be a pain, taking two whole days from your holiday. How about putting him on a connecting flight back from Queenstown? Is he too young?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown

Thanks everyone for your advise.......... been busy today and purchased flights from Christchurch to Queenstown...... now can anyone advise of the closest caravan park to Wanaka as we have a campervan

thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown

Well done on getting the flight to Queenstown - that makes the most sense :)

Wanaka has a good number of holiday parks. Lakeview is the most central but it has had management issues in the past - I don't know if it is better run now lakewanaka.co.nz/new-zealand/…

many consider this to be the best equipped and friendliest www.lakewanaka.co.nz/new-zealand/product/…

enjoy :)

10. Re: Christchurch to Queenstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:19