We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spare day, any suggestions of what to do?

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
193 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Spare day, any suggestions of what to do?

Hey Guys

We are heading over to Queenstown next week for 4 days as part of a trip I won through work. At this stage our itinerary looks like this:

15/08 - Arrive Queenstown, pick up ski gear

16/08 - Snowboard Coronet Peak

17/08 - Bungy Jump and Shotover Jetboat

18/08 - Snowboard the Remarkables

19/08 - SPARE

20/08 - Head back to Aus

So I was just wanting to know what people would recommend to do on our spare day? It will be myself and my fiance, so we are pretty keen to do some exploring or a fun day trip in the area. Any recommendations would be great

Cheers,

Rob

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spare day, any suggestions of what to do?

Welcome Rob, and congratulations! I twould help if we knew your intersts - wine-tasting tour? LOTR tour to Glenorchy/Paradise. Will you have a car?

Probably the number one tour would have to be the day trip to Milford Sound - 13 hours by coach-cruise-coach but less if you opt for the coach-cruise-fly.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spare day, any suggestions of what to do?

I would also suggest getting a car and heading towards Glenorchy. Even if you are not LOTR fans, it is a lovely area to explore. There are a number of short walks. The boardwalk through the wetlands at the head of the lake is interesting (right in Glenorchy town), or you could do a bit of the famous Routeburn Track. The first hut is 6km from the road end. Fit adults would easily walk this return in about 3 hours. Even if you didn't go all the way, it is a scenic track as it goes beside the river and through lovely forest. Try to walk as far as Bridal Veil Falls. Lake Sylvan is another easy, short walk through nice forest to a little lake.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spare day, any suggestions of what to do?

Hire some mountain bikes from Arrowtown and ride to Gibbston Valley winery, drink wine, eat cheese, get the bike folk to pick you up once you're suitably lubricated and then go to La Rumbla in Arrowtown and carry on.

You get exercise, food, drink - ideal day.

Mermaid Waters...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Spare day, any suggestions of what to do?

Thanks for all your replies guys, I will definitely check out those activities! Is there anything you would suggest in the immediate vicinity of Queenstown, just in case we aren't able to get a car

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spare day, any suggestions of what to do?

The TSS Earnslaw is a quite fun, head across to Walter Peak and have lunch, there are a couple of other boat tours that just do cruises around the lake and it's always nice being on water.

Alternatively, you could go up Skyline and do the luge, that's bloody good fun. I do think that doing a ride on the Queenstown Trail, weather pending, is a great way to spend the day. There are various bike hire operators who will pick you up so you only ride one way.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spare day, any suggestions of what to do?

Segway tour?

Lake cruise?

Shotover Jet?

Dart River Safari out of Glenorchy? (transport from QT included)

Edited: 08 August 2013, 01:30
7. Re: Spare day, any suggestions of what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 06:19