We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Te Anau

singapore
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Te Anau

Hi everyone

My family of 3, w 10 yr old boy will be driving from Te Anau to Central Otago.

How will the drive be ? As I'm planning a winery, are the any recommended one to visit ? Is it doable for us to drive from Te Anau to maybe Queenstown and to Arrowton for any gold mining experience within a day ?

I had read from another post to be extra careful driving near Lake Wakatipu. Do we HAVE to pass by this route ? How can we avoid the route altogether ?

Any kind advice appreciated.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Te Anau

The route around Lake Wakatipu is not something to be avoided. People are just telling you to make sure you are careful - ie stay on correct side of road, don't try to rush etc. You still haven't said WHERE in Central Otago you are planning to end up. If you say the destinations in Central Otago, we will be able to give better advice. I have already given you advice about getting to Wanaka. If you are heading for Queenstown, then there is only one sensible route - the one already mentioned. Again, as I have already said, yes, it is doable to drive from te Anau to QT/Arrowtown in a day. The towns are only 2-3 hours apart - allowing for a careful foreign driver and stops, we do it in less than 2 hours - so as long as you leave in good time in the morning, you will be having lunch in QTY/Arrowtown.

It might be a good idea to post your entire itinerary for NZ/South Island as there could be a more logical way to achieve what you plan to do.

2. Re: Driving from Te Anau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 05:18