We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Astoria, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

I made a huge mistake in some travel arrangements and have now found myself in dire need of accommodations after christmas through until after new years in Queenstown.

Whether I like it or not, I'll be arriving in Queenstown on Dec 27 and would like to stay until Jan 8 (9-10) if possible. A two week short term rental doesn't seem possible at this late time to book. All hostels, hotels, motels, b&b's are booked solid. Airbnb has nothing available during that time either. (well, there are, but exorbitantly priced per night). I have a request out on couchsurfing also.

If anyone knows for a room to rent furnished and clean, I can pay a decent weekly rate. Shared bath/kitchen/lounge are ok! Also, if there is internet available (or to purchase wifi additionally) that would be great! I'm a really upbeat person, female, mid-30s, neat and tidy, cook and bake very well, don't smoke, rarely drink and not a partier.

I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks all! (xposted LP & BnA)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

Welcome to the forum Jill :)

I think your chances are slim. You and many hundreds of others are all looking for a bed in Q'town over the holiday period.

Will you have a car? You might end up having to buy or hire a tent and go pitch a camp out at 12 Mile Delta.

Best of luck :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,661 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

I think you really are chasing a rainbow. QTN has a very low resident population to visitor ratio at the best of times and longer term accommodation for casual workers is scare. Do you have to be in QTN for the whole time? Have you considered Cromwell or Alexandra?

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

Check Cromwell or Kingston - I doubt you'll find anywhere closer.

DoC camping is the other option, as WLnz said. There are DoC campgrounds at Kinloch and Lake Sylvan (both up the Glenorchy end of the lake), and Moke Lake. 12 Mile Delta is the closest to Queenstown. DoC campgrounds don't take bookings and you may be lucky to find a spot arriving between Christmas and NY, especially closer to Queenstown.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

Try http://www.homeforhire.com

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

Play around with it, from what I can see the only dates that are difficult is the 30th 31st and 1st

work on 2 - 4 day segments and units will appear.

http://www.homeforhire.com

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

Check out places like Arrowtown. The Poplar Lodge offers a variety of good value accommodation.

Astoria, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

Thank you all for your suggestions! I _may_ have found a solution, which of course involved shuffling dates. If that doesn't work out, the home for hire looks promising...thanks for that Trelawn!

petpolly
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

Dont drink dont smoke and not a partier why would you want to go to Queenstown for new years the biggest party time of the year ????

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

Queenstown offers a heck of a lot more than just partying.

Astoria, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation in Queenstown over NYE for two weeks

Luck was on my side this year and thankfully I've found a place to stay (in Frankton) for my time in QT! Suggest to others who are still hunting to check out some of the outer neighborhoods too for accommodations. Also, maybe something will pop up on trademe.co.nz for a temporary roommate situation. I also caught wind that the QT iSite may be able to help, but still expect to pay for more than you planned. Passing on the good luck vibes to all for a safe, warm place to stay! :)