We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter trip questions - car hire & wot hotels ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Easter trip questions - car hire & wot hotels ?

I am planning on coming to Queenstown from the 16th to 20th April (thus four nights/three full days). The primary reason is to visit the Warbirds Airshow on the 19th but will have a couple of days to see other sights in the area. I am arriving by plane from Sydney. Some questions:

1) What factors should I use in deciding whether to hire a car? There is a bus available to Wanaka for $50 so that's an option for the day trip for the airshow, and cheaper for a single person most likely, but it means I won't have the opportunity to stop along the way. Are there any quick diversions that might be worth seeing if I were to have a car (understanding I'd plan to spend most of the day at the airshow).

I haven't yet planned my activities for the other days but would likely do the Skyline tram & perhaps luge, a few of the local short tracks/walks or gardens, and perhaps a jetboat cruise (haven't researched that yet). I'm aware that some of these places will close on Good Friday, so plan to use that day for walks/hikes/gardens if necessary.

2) Does anyone know about the "Wot Hotel" for $130 per night advertised on wotif.com? It is listed as "8 minutes drive" from the Queenstown CBD. If this is a good deal it might justify having the hire car?

I enjoy driving but will be by myself, which makes navigation more difficult. I have driven in the South Island before (Greymouth/Punakaiki/Arthurs Pass) so I'm aware of the road conditions, and have no issues driving on the left being from Sydney.

Some things I'm interested in: natural sights, waterfalls/rivers/lakes, views, short walks/hikes (don't have the time or physical condition for anything too long), notable local history.

Not particularly fussed about: wineries/foodie attractions, farms, super-thrills like bungee or skydiving.

Thanks for any hints.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 23:56
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Easter trip questions - car hire & wot hotels ?

That is true, the colour came in handy at that point. No trouble whatsoever finding it in the car park :)

12. Re: Easter trip questions - car hire & wot hotels ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 05:15