We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Island Itenerary Help Needed

Pukalani, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
South Island Itenerary Help Needed

Aloha, This is my second post on the subject sorry if its repetitive. We are arriving in Queenstown on May 11th staying for 3 nights and then taking the RealJourney's Milford Sound overnight tour on the 14th. I have arranged to have them drop us off in Te Anau from the 15th and picking us up on the 18th back to Queenstown. From there I thought we would either drive to Wanaka for 2 nights and then 1 night in Aoraki.

Or do you think we should stay 2 nights Te Anau, 2 nights Wanaka and 2 nights Aoraki. We fly out of Queenstown at 4 pm. on the 23rd. We are 60 and 66 years and would like to do some mild hiking or some eco tours in Wanaka and Aoraki. One more question do you think it might be aproblem driving from Wanaka to Aoraki the week of May 19th,. All responses are sincerely appreciated

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
252 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Island Itenerary Help Needed

2 nights in mount cook village is TOO much - one night is enought - its only the views - Wanaka is a very beautiful town and in some ways better then queenstown. Te anau also is only worth 1-2 nignths.

California
Level Contributor
7,330 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Island Itenerary Help Needed

I'm not sure what you would do in Te Anau for 3 nights, and presumably without a car. I'd change it to 2-2-2. There are several mild hikes in Aoraki. I highly recommend Hooker Valley Track, and please go all the way to the end. Turning around at one of the first two swing bridges is only a teaser! We also enjoyed the Kea Point Track, the different colors in Mueller Glacier lake at the terminal face were so pretty and you are at a wonderful vantage point looking over them with Mount Cook beyond. Behind you is the valley with the Hermitage way in the distance.

Tasman Glacier is a matter of taste, I'm afraid. I found it terribly ugly and the icebergs on the day we went underwhelming. We did not take the boat tour. But others just rave about it.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,301 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Island Itenerary Help Needed

I would definitely do a day tour at Milford Sound and an overnight at Doubtful Sound. Both absolutely stunning.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: South Island Itenerary Help Needed

I would split 2 - 2 - 2. or 1 (Te Anau) - 3 (Wanaka) - 2 (Mt Cook).

Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Island Itenerary Help Needed

We liked Wanaka alot when we were there in Feb. Alot more low key than Q'town, plenty of decent places to eat & drink. The track to the base of the Rob Roy Glacier was one of our favorite day hikes.

Sunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Island Itenerary Help Needed

We did 2-2-2 and had our days filled. I agree with deSchenke, do the Hooker Valley track all the way to the lake, well worth the effort. While my wife thought the milford sound cruise was very good, I didn't think much of it, but the drive down/back is great as are the morning views at mirror lakes.

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Island Itenerary Help Needed

Obviously I'm from NZ and have spent plenty of time in these areas so honestly what I would do is spend 2 nights Milford and make sure you do a cruise or a helicopter flight and then 2 nights Wanaka and 2 nights Aoraki. There's not much to do in Aoraki except walking and checking out the scenery - there isn't much there. Wanaka is a much quieter version of Queenstown.

8. Re: South Island Itenerary Help Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 06:17