We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a better choice for Milford Sound cch/cru/cch?

Riverside...
11 posts
Save Topic
Is there a better choice for Milford Sound cch/cru/cch?

My 3 teen daughters and I want to take a coach/cruise/coach to Milford Sound.

So many... does anyone have an opinion on which is best? Jucy? Southern Discovery?

Thank you for your opinions

Blessings

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a better choice for Milford Sound cch/cru/cch?

There's no really bad choice. All the operators have points of difference, and some may appeal to you more than others, but they all give a professional tour, and I am sure you will not be disappointed whatever you choose.

Juicy have their own boat, so if you use their coach you will travel on their boat. Is is smaller than some of the others, but still comfortable and a good size.

Real Journeys and Southern Discoveries (formerly Red Boats) have larger boats and more options as to meals on board and duration of the cruise; However all operators take the same route from Queenstown to Milford, and all cruises travel the same route on the sound; so you will see exactly the same things. What will vary is the commentary and expertise of the driver, and there is no way of predicting this, but you can be confident that they will be professionals, with a good understanding of Fiordland and it's history.

As there are 4 of you taking the cheapest option might be the best choice.

Riverside...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a better choice for Milford Sound cch/cru/cch?

Dear vbc,

Thank you for your kind and informative answer. It is always great to have a local tell you what the pretty brochures cannot.

I am very grateful.

Have a blessed day.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a better choice for Milford Sound cch/cru/cch?

Cheers Chefminda. Hope you have an awesome time in New Zealand

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a better choice for Milford Sound cch/cru/cch?

Jucy is the discount marketing guru of Milford Sound changing the face of tourism and the "Milford Experience". Severe discounting from Jucy has forced many other tourism companies to hold or even lower prices in order to hold market share.

Some smaller specialized tourism operators may disappear and it is difficult to decide if the "Milford Experience" is enhanced by the razzle dazzle of modern discount marketing.

I do believe however that It is no longer the cost, or the company you should look at when seeking the best choice for coach cruise coach Milford Sound. The coach driver/guide is the most important factor to consider when making a visit to this special area.

Edited: 24 May 2014, 13:02
Riverside...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a better choice for Milford Sound cch/cru/cch?

South Island Bill,

Thank you for your response.

How does one know or find out about the driver/tour guide?

I take it that you are not a fan of Jucy? I don't know either way.

My hope is that I find that local person/company that wants share their bit of heaven with eager to learn tourist. Great information, stillness of nature, and beauty of their world.

Blessings

California
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a better choice for Milford Sound cch/cru/cch?

I know there was a poster here who was a big fan of the buses used by Real Journeys. They had windows that extended up and over so you had a huge view overhead, as well as to the side.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a better choice for Milford Sound cch/cru/cch?

We went with Barbeque bus it was a small bus max 20 people - we had six. We stopped for a bush walk while the driver cooked a BBQ lunch which was lovely. We stopped for photo ops along the way and he gave is a running commentary about the history and geology of the area. It was door to door service and a truely excellent experience. The cruise was on a smaller boat than some of the others and all the passengers got to stand at the rail to see everything.

My dh was very sceptical about a bus tour but is now totally converted. But I think the major difference was the small group and friendly personalised service. He didn't have to drive and got to see the awesome scenery. It's 13 hrs but really worth it.

http://www.milford.net.nz

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a better choice for Milford Sound cch/cru/cch?

We had a wonderful trip on Awesome NZ. Loved the boat they put us on for the cruise in the sound and very informative. You can pick up in Queenstown or Te Anue.

9. Re: Is there a better choice for Milford Sound cch/cru/cch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 05:15