We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

I will be in Queenstown, for 3 days in January 2015, after spending 2 weeks in Auckland with my brother and his family

. What should I not miss. Suggested itinerary please. I love the outdoors, am a keen photographer but am the other side of 50 years, so no bungee jumping for me. I live in Toronto, Canada and this is my first trip to New Zealand.

California
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

Rent a bike in Arrowtown and ride along the Arrowtown River and across to Chard Farm Winery. You can photograph the bungy jumpers as you approach the bridge and you'll have great views of the Kawarau River. The bike company will pick you up. The atmosphere at Chard Farm is very hospitable and wines are top-notch.

Drive to Glenorchy. The road along the river has outstanding views and there are a few nice bush walks along the way. I'm specifically thinking of Bob's Cove and Crichton Loop. We really enjoyed the kayaking from Glenorchy.

Take a coach-cruise-fly trip to Milford Sound. All the best bits and saves the coach trip back (where driver does not offer commentary so everyone can sleep).

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

thank you for your post - full of great advice. I certainly will look into this suggested itinerary. Winery tour sounds great - favourite white wines just now are from NZ. Also, being a native scot, Glenorchy sounds very interesting.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

The TSS Earnslaw runs cruises on Lake Wakatipu about 3 times a day, options include morning tea or lunch at Walter Peak Station (station = very large sheep farm) with a chance to see farming operations; or dinner cruise.

Jet boats rides range from thrilling to more scenic - options here include the Shotover River & Dart River.

LOTR tours and/or horse riding around Glenorchy.

Bus or drive to the small gold rush era village of Arrowtown (a bit touristy in January but nice walks along the river & to the old Chinese miners settlement behind the shops).

Oz
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

Hi,

No trip to Queenstown is complete IMHO for any age group without:

Dinner at the Skyline Buffet (early session to take in the view), book early!

Shotover Jet.

Skippers Canyon.

Fiordland Tour

Onsen Hot Pools

Cheers,

Edited: 20 July 2014, 03:33
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

Check out the TA attractions and things to do for ideas tripadvisor.co.nz/Attractions-g255122-Activi…

But my favourites would be the gondola and luge. Hire a bike and bike around to the Hilton for macaroons and a drink at the outside seating area.

A day trip to milford sound.

shotover jet. A cruise on the Earnslaw steamboat.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

Lots of good suggestions on here.

Enjoy Queenstown :)

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

Many people consider the flight from Milford back to Queenstown as the highlight of the holiday

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

Thank you all for your great suggestions - I can now put together a good itinerary based on all your replies. (love these forums - get to hear from some great fellow travellers) I am so looking forward to my Kiwi adventure and plan to squeeze in as much sightseeing as I possibly can

9. Re: Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 13:30
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,075 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best things to do in Queenstown for 3 days

Milford Sound, Glenorchy, and Arrowtown are musts. The gondola in Queenstown is pricey but the view is good.

We enjoyed watching the bungy jumpers and walked from there to the Chard winery. Much better was our one day winery tour with http://www.funnyfrenchcars.co.nz/