We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo woman travelling to Queenstown and Auckland - help!

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Solo woman travelling to Queenstown and Auckland - help!

Hi everyone, I was going to travel with a friend but he has now pulled out, so I am a 33 year old female professional travelling on my own to Queenstown and Auckland in mid-September 2014. I have one night in Auckland, four nights in Queenstown and then one night in Auckland on the way back.

I haven't booked accom in either city yet - does anyone know of any luxurious hostels or very social hotels in Queenstown where I could stay to meet people and have fun, or have any tips for where i should go / what I should do, eg social bars or restaurants? Happy to hang on my own, I was loking forward to being in a hotel rather than a hostel but should probably try to meet people if I am on my own. Only in Auckland for two nights so happy to be in hotels and just pop out to dinner / walk around the city.

I am going to book lots of tours once i arrive in Queenstown, I am keen to drive out to Milford etc but don't really have any other plans. Does anyone have any tips that could help me? Anyone else travelling there at the same time and would like to meet for a drink/walk around town?

Edited: 19 August 2014, 04:00
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo woman travelling to Queenstown and Auckland - help!

NZ is a very easy country to explore on your own and while it is also a safe country, do take the usual precautions. Don't walk alone down dark streets at night, etc.

Do note that Milford Sound is not a day trip from Queenstown unless you use a professional driver. The bus tour takes 13 hours.

Queenstown has a good number of hostels to choose from. You are here in the ski season so best book your accommodation asap as the town will be buzzing.

Most hostels have the option of single rooms or 'girl only' dorms with ensuite. You will find many solo travellers at the hostels.

http://www.newzealand.com/int/backpackers/

Enjoy :)

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo woman travelling to Queenstown and Auckland - help!

It IS possible to do a day trip to Milford Sound from Queenstown with a tour company, easily findable with 'Uncle' Google.

A pity that your friend pulled out, but it IS possible to travel solo, often it's my preferred 'style'. Embrace your independence, go, stay and see what and where YOU want to.

Jump on the hop on, hop off bus for a trip around Auckland city sights, you can meet other travelers on there. Stay around the bottom of Queen Street/ waterfront area, lots of bars, people, tourists. Around Britomart, Fort Street, Vulcan Lane, High Street there are many bars and restaurants, popular with locals as well as tourists.

For an even better chance to meet locals, Stay on Ponsonby Road, the street also has lots of great cafes/ restaurants/ bars; and more a hip local area, rather than overrun with tourists.

In Queenstown, as you've said, you'll do lots of activities; you'll meet people on the transports to and from. Oh, check out Ferg Burgers... everyone who goes to ZQN raves about them (haven't made it to ZQN since Ferg's opened!).

Treat yourself and enjoy

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo woman travelling to Queenstown and Auckland - help!

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the advice!

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo woman travelling to Queenstown and Auckland - help!

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the advice!

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo woman travelling to Queenstown and Auckland - help!

Thank you! Really appreciate the advice!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo woman travelling to Queenstown and Auckland - help!

I think the three hostels I would look at most closely in Queenstown are Nomads (quite new, quite flash, rather large), the Adventure Queenstown Hostel (which is quite new, and already very popular) and the Haka Lodge (smaller but well quipped).

7. Re: Solo woman travelling to Queenstown and Auckland - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 05:15