We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in Queenstown

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
4 nights in Queenstown

We (honeymoon couple) are planning a trip to Queenstown or have actually planned (hotels, flights booked) in Feb 2015. We will be driving from Christchurch - Franz Josef - Queenstown. Since we will be based for 4 days in Queenstown we would like to know where can we travel from Queenstown. We have kept one day for Milford Sound and one day for exploring Queenstown. Any suggestions as to which nearby places we can drive to in the remaining 2 days will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

California
Level Contributor
9,614 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights in Queenstown

Glenorchy is a 45 minute drive away. The drive itself is very scenic*. There are some LOTR tours there, either by horse or 4WD, or you could do a day hike or kayak there.

Another day's drive would be to travel via Arrowtown, which is worth a look around. Check out the Chinese settlement and just wander the town a bit. Then drive up Crown Range Road (very scenic) to Wanaka. Have lunch by the lake there. Then drive back along Lake Dunstan through Cromwell and along Gibbston Valley. Do a bit of wine tasting if you like and stop at the bungy bridge to watch (or do!).

*This drive probably rates in my top five scenic drives in the country!

2. Re: 4 nights in Queenstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 04:06
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,670 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights in Queenstown

Personally, I would recommend taking a night off QTN & stopping in Wanaka for the night after leaving FJG. it is a bit silly to backtrack QTN to Wanaka, and that is such a long day it makes sense to stay in Wanaka.

4. Re: 4 nights in Queenstown

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 13:27
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights in Queenstown

I agree with Zhuhai ...

pointless to spend an entire day driving Franz to Queenstown (which takes you through Wanaka) then return later to Wanaka.

Better to

explore franz

drive to Wanaka

drive to Queenstown

explore

day trip to Glenorchy

bus trip to Milford Sound

California
Level Contributor
9,614 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights in Queenstown

I have to concede that it would best to visit Wanaka overnight after your journey from Franz Josef. I was focusing on the 4 days in Queenstown and it went right be me that you were coming from the West Coast.

Perhaps on your already planned day of exploring Queenstown, you could get out to Gibbston Valley, visit a winery, and watch the bungy jumpers. It's a basically free option with perhaps only a small charge for tasting. We rented bicycles from Arrowtown to do just that and it was a fantastic day.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 23:09
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights in Queenstown

Thank you all. The thing is we have already booked the hotel and we cannot cancel it. So we have to stay for the 4 nights in Queesntown which means we will be driving to nearby places.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights in Queenstown

Dear All

could anyone suggest what kind of clothing would be suitable for trip to Queenstown and nearby areas in Feb first week. We will spend one day in Auckland, then fly to Christchurch and from there on road trip to Franz Josef, Queenstown.

I guess the temp would be mild so not sure if I should carry any jackets. Also no idea if its rainy or windy. Thanks in advance

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nights in Queenstown

Thank you all!

I just returned from NZ and it surpassed my expectations. We drove around 1800 kms in 5 days but it was worth it. we reached auckland, stayed there for one night and the next evening we flew to christchurch. From christchurch we then hired a car, drove to Franz Josef, stayed there for one night and then drove to Queenstown. We stayed in Queenstown for 4 nights and visited Milford Sound, Glenorcy. The most beautiful drive was from Franz Josef to Queenstown. Especially when you are about to reach queenstown it gets so beautiful. All and all a great trip.We fell in love with NZ. Thank you for all the great suggestions!

Edited: 28 February 2015, 09:17
10. Re: 4 nights in Queenstown

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2016, 05:15