We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bogota
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

We will be stationed in Queenstown and are looking for a cruise to Doubtful Sound, which is over 12 hours, besides being a bit expensive. Is it worth it or should we only do Milford Sound.

Thanks in advance

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,231 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

The ultimate is to do both. they are both quite different Milford is steep narrow cliffs, and the drive in is stunning. Doubtful requires a cruise across lake manapouri, bus wilmot pass and onto doubtful, Doubtul is immense and moody. I recommend a day trip to Milford, stay in te anau and then an overnight trip on doubtful sound if you are able,

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

I agree with poppynz, if possible do both trips. The day trip to Milford Sound gives you so much fantastic scenery, but it can seem/ be quite busy. The overnight trip to Doubtful Sound can make you believe you are the only folk on the planet - magical.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

I would do only the one.

Milford for a day trip - or Doubtful as an overnight.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

Hi,

>>I would do only the one.Milford for a day trip - or Doubtful as an overnight.<<

+1

Cheers,

Bogota
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

Thanks so very much for your replies. The overnight to Doubtful is not feasible since we´ve already paid for the house in Queenstown, We might then make a day trip to both places.

Again, many thanks,

Bogota
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

One more question regarding Milford Sound. I just checked in Google maps and the driving time is 3.19 hours. Is this correct. Because looking at the maps it seems very close.

California
Level Contributor
7,169 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

Google maps is notorious for underestimating times. They assume you can maintain the 100km speed limit. From Queenstown, it's about 5 hours driving EACH WAY to Milford Sound. Better to take a coach tour, or if budget allows, coach-cruise-fly.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,231 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

Its nearly 300km from Queenstown to Milford Sound, on some winding and narrow roads. 3 hours and 19 minutes is totally unrealistic for a first time tourist to travel one way.

Use this aatravel.co.nz/main/time-distance-calculator… to calculate accurate travel times rather than google.

The AA indicates 4 hours 24 minutes fo travel Queenstown to Milford sound one way.

a day trip to Doubtful from queenstown is Just too much travel. Bus, cruise, Bus, cruise, Bus, curise, Bus. in a day! Although it is only 2 hrs 30 mins from Queenstown to Manapouri so if you are prepared for a long day it is an option.

Edited: 04 September 2014, 19:58
Bogota
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

Thans very much DeSchenke and PoppyNZ. Now I have no idea on how to plan this part of the trip. Thanks for the link on NZ distance calculator. Will keep on figuring how to visit, at least, Milford Sound.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound

Hi,

Some say the "best way" to visit Fiordland is the coach/cruise/fly option.

IMHO travelling on a bus is what they make you do in hell.

IMHO the "best way" to visit Fiordland is the fly/cruise/heli/fly option. Do not attempt to drive in winter or spring as avalanches may close the road which is embarrassing and expensive if your rental is trapped. If you are on a tour they will fly you out.

airwakatipu.com/milford-sound/…

Cheers,