We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

Adelaide
Level Contributor
20 posts
Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

Hi everyone,

I am planing a surprise xmas present for my partner to go to New Zealand in February to do the White Water Rafting, Bumgy Jumping and all the other scary things. I was wondering if there is a train or what is the best way to get to Queenstown from Christchurch as we fly into Christchurch. Also, any recommendations on where to stay, shop, eat or what to do would be extremely helpful. My partner was in the bali bombing and planned to White Water Raft and Bungy Jump the day after the bomb but having lost 2 friends and injuring himself, he returned home the next day. I want to make this trip as special as possible for him (but also affordable for me to pay by myself). Any help whatsoever would be extremely appreciated. Thanks guys!

Madrid
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

Hello, we drove from CHR. to Queenstown in two steps, sleeping one night in Lake Tekapo a beautiful village with snow-covered mountains. There was a great restaurant in Queenstown “Waterfront Rest.” www.wai.net.nz, with a stunning lake views, for a romantic night with your partner.

Madrid
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

I forgot recommended B&B Orari in Christchurch, we stayed there two nights and we loved it. We can see reviews in this web tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g255118-d296511… and another restaurant in this city, called Le Bon Bolli tourism.net.nz/region/…23668

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

Definitely the best way is to hire a car to do this trip - and as per the previous post, Lake Tekapo is a beautiful area to stop off on the way.

You can get the bus (see www.intercitycoach.co.nz), the bus takes about 10 hours, but make sure you get the one that goes via Tekapo, rather than the one via Dunedin.

Via Tekapo is more direct and a nicer route.

If you hire a car, the drive will only take you about 7.5 hours.

Other option is to fly CHCH to QSTN if you're short of time

www.airnz.co.nz

Costs about $120 one way

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
150 reviews
186 helpful votes
4. Re: Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

Did this trip last year with friends from CHCH.

Went via Ashburton, Geraldine, Lake Tekapo, Twizel, Omarama, Cromwell, Queenstown.

Did the runeasy in one day although being an ex transport driver he took a sneaky short cut some where along a road beside an aqueduct that was dead stright for miles. Perhaps alocl might know where this was.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
20 posts
5. Re: Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

Thanks heaps for all your help everyone. It is great to get feedback and advice especially when this trip will mean so much to my partner. I think I might do the idea of driving to Queenstown from Christchurch and seeing the scenery. However, will I need a car for the whole holiday or would we be able to rely on public transport and tour companies? Also, are there any recommendations of any places that will be central to stay at in Queenstown. Any other recommendations or help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks heaps for all your help.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
20 posts
6. Re: Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

Oh, the other question I forgot was... does anyone know where I can get any maps or driving directions from Christchurch to Queenstown or will the hire company be able to provide this. thanks again!!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
150 reviews
186 helpful votes
7. Re: Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite at the Grand Mercure St Moritz. Lots of space, kitchen, 2 bathrooms etc.

Fabulous view from the hotel dining room.

!0 minute walk to central Queenstown (downhill), 15 minute walk bak (uphill)

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

Regarding maps & driving directions -

When you arrive at the airport, just go to the info centre and pick up some AA maps. They should have a big stand full of them, and they are free.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
20 posts
9. Re: Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

Thanks heaps for that. I might have to do that and look out for the AA stands. Thanks again. :)

Adelaide
Level Contributor
20 posts
10. Re: Best way to get from Christchurch to Queenstown??

Thanks heaps for that. I might have to do that and look out for the AA stands. Thanks again. :)

Get answers to your questions about Queenstown