We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steward Island New Zealand

Kuala Lumpur...
8 posts
Save Topic
Steward Island New Zealand

It seem the cruise at steward island very expensive. Please advise us the following:

a) It is worth just going steward island walk around without joining any cruise

b) is it ok skip visiting steward island?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,895 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steward Island New Zealand

I don't know what cruise you are talking about, but you can go to Stewart Island by ferry or plane. If you just "walk around" I don't think it is worth it.

You can get a one day package from Stewart Island Flights that flies you there around 8:30am; includes the water taxi to Ulva Island; a bus tour of Oban & the ferry back to Bluff at 6pm.

If you are not interested in birds or tramping you can skip Stewart Island. For me it was the highlight of this summer. I spent 4 days there.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steward Island New Zealand

Stewart Island was not on our planned itinerary but after hearing several locals brag, we ditched a couple of extra days in Queenstown and headed South. Stayed in Invercargill, drove to Bluff and took the Ferry to the island. Recommend sitting outside on the back deck and watch the albatross! It's a rough crossing and those below deck did not fare so well!! When you land, walk up the lane and sip some cocoa at the Just Cafe. Then join Ulva for a quick water taxi ride to Ulva Island. Book in advance. The bird watching walk was top 5 experience in my three week South Island trip!! And I'm not a birdwatcher!! On the Ferry Ride back, we chatted with Hurricane Johnny. What luck! If you have the time, look him up and join him on a fishing trip. I wish I'd had more time to spend on Stewart Island!

Level Contributor
188 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steward Island New Zealand

we are going in Aug.maybe just staying 1 night in the Bunker's, what's the interesting stuff to do?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,837 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steward Island New Zealand

Birdwatching and walking.

Better pack the thermals for August travel!

Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Steward Island New Zealand

Stewart in August....yikes!! Skip it. Chances are the Roaring 40s may be hellish. In my IMHO, Stewart is for folks who have already seen much of the South...otherwise the Lakes, Catlins, and Milford, and Otago peninsula areas are all superior destinations.

6. Re: Steward Island New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2015, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Stewart Island
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now