We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve

Kia Ora, We have three nights accommodation booked at the end of this year on Stewart Island.

I've heard that the South Sea Hotel is the place to be for New Year's Eve.

Do any of you regulars to the forum know whether this is simply a rowdy pub night or is it something more organised requiring booking?If we wanted to eat would we need to book a table in the restaurant or would there be a buffet supplied?

I have tried emailing them some days ago but have not had a reply.I realise this is a bit of a long shot as it isn't the normal place where tourists go to celebrate NY but we are really excited to be going there.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve

Hi MG :)

I suspect if wanting to dine there NYE you had better make a reservation.

But I have also emailed them, with a link to this thread.

Best of luck :)

Edited: 17 October 2013, 11:59
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve

Hi WL,

Thanks so much for doing that.I hope I get a reply eventually.If not,we'll book for a meal and take it from there.

I'll be back with a couple more questions before too long.Although this will be our third visit I am just as excited especially as it is our 40th anniversary trip.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve

Hi again WL,

Your email seems to have done the trick.I've heard back from the hotel.Bookings are definitely recommended for the restaurant so we shall be reserving a table.Then there is a band from around 8pm and later,a bonfire on the beach.

All sounds good to me. Thanks again for your help.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve

A great result MG, it all sounds great.

Nothing beats a bonfire on the beach, enjoy :)

stewart island
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve

Hi , Sorry your email wasn't answered (my fault). There will be a band (Transitions) playing at the hotel on New Years Eve, starting about 9 pm. They were great last year playing covers music and getting people joining in & dancing. The dining room will be open for meals before that, with bookings essential. Bar meals will also be available. Depending on weather, the band will play on the front balcony, or in the bar. Also dependent on weather and enthusiasm, I expect there will be the traditional bonfire on the beach in front of the hotel. See you there. Cheers, Helen

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve

Hi Helen,

We've had an email from Carolin and have now booked a table in the restaurant for NYE.Hoping for dry weather and really looking forward to a new year celebration at the bottom of the world.

Thanks for your reply.

7. Re: New Year's Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2017, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Stewart Island