We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiordland Weather

Texas
Level Contributor
140 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fiordland Weather

Hi Barry; I know that one can't really transpose the weather from year to year, certainly on a daily or weekly basis, but I am a data glutton. As we are planning to visit NZ about this time next year I am wondering what the weather is like right now in the deep south. If we were there now what are the chances that we could make our helicopter tour of the sounds etc? Is the whole concept of comparing 2007 weather with what may happen in 2008 a waste of time?

Best regards

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiordland Weather

Hi Xlimey, welcome back :)

You could plan to visit the Bay of Plenty- we have had perfect weather for the last 3 weeks, in fact February was very dry, March has started the same (although there's a shower passing over at the moment) Temperatures in the late 20s and a few days 30+, perfect!

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiordland Weather

Comparing weather this year with next year is a little bit random.

Right now, today, there is severe weather (heavy rain) forecast for Fiordland; and most of NZ for that matter.

However, generally the weather across NZ has been quite settled the past 2 weeks.

March is a month where anything can happen weatherwise.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiordland Weather

Hi Xlimey,

Sorry I missed your post, had a couple of days off.

If you had been in Fiordland in February, and up until yesterday, you would have had no trouble getting your chopper flight.Today is a different story; last night it started bucketting down, and it's still raining.

February and March are usually fairly reliable weatherwise, however you simply can't rely on that, and as you say, forcasting next years weather by comparing it with this years is an exercise in futility.

You just got to come and take your chances.

4. Re: Fiordland Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 08:20