We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Milford and Doubtful Sounds

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,584 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Milford and Doubtful Sounds

We will be in Te Anau toward the end of February and are planning on doing both the Doubtful and Milford Sound cruises. I just checked tonight and the Doubtful Sound overnight is already booked for all three nights we have in Te Anau. (bummer!)

So now it will be the day time cruises, and I am wondering if I need to book those this far in advance too? We'd hate to miss them, but don't want to sink into panic mode already! lol

thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Milford and Doubtful Sounds

There is no real urgency to book yet, though the Doubtful tour could be booked by Feb. If you have a fixed itinerary and already know when you hope/plan to go, there is no reason not to prebook. If something happens that cancels the tour you will get a full refund. If something happens to you which causes you to cancel, well that's what travel insurance is designed for.

So if on a floating itinerary I would wait and book a few days/weeks in advance. if on a fixed itinerary I would book now... and recheck the travel insurance to ensure everything is covered in case of unforeseen calamity.

hope this helps :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Milford and Doubtful Sounds

ps, keep a check on the Doubtful overnights. Sometimes there are cancellations and you still might grab a berth.

best of luck :)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
78 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Milford and Doubtful Sounds

Just as an FYI for those reading this in the future. We booked our Doubtful sound over night for the end of Feb/beg of March. I initially tried to do it in May & the night we wanted was already gone. We were lucky enough to snatch another night, but I guess they sell out really early.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Milford and Doubtful Sounds

What are the companies doing the Doubtful Sounds overnight tours ? Any recommendations ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Milford and Doubtful Sounds

Real Journeys & Fiordland Cruises are two companies that do the overnight cruises.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Milford and Doubtful Sounds

You should be aware that the boats that the 2 companies use are very different. Recommendations depend on your preferences.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,584 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Milford and Doubtful Sounds

Here's an update for us:

We found that changing our itinerary allowed us to book an overnight on Doubtful Sound. We went with the Navigator and booked a quad room, but just for the two of us--it was worth it to have a private bath.

We're very excited, even though we've had to cut our trip from 30 to 20 days altogether, and thus limit our visit this time to the South Island (with only 17 nights "on the ground") but I'm sure we'll be back to finish up the North Island someday.

8. Re: Booking Milford and Doubtful Sounds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2010, 06:22