We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Te Anau Glowworm caves with infant/toddler?

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Te Anau Glowworm caves with infant/toddler?

Hey there - Spending two nights in Te Anau on a trip through the highlites of NZ next week (jump-off to Milford) and was hoping to visit the glow worm caves there...however on the website it states that the tour is suitable for all ages "with the exception of infants". We will travelling with another couple...they have a child and so do we - ages 2 years and 16 months. Both are mobile (walking/running). Wondering if anyone has done this tour with little ones and if is doable? I read that a maximum of 12-14 people visit the actual "glow worm" part of the trip at a time - so maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the tour wasn't crowded? (i.e. have a boat to ourselves?). Advice / previous experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again all!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Te Anau Glowworm caves with infant/toddler?

I have done the Glow Worm tour back in 1996?... oppss.

The tour is not available during high tide. It is suitable with kids who are able to walk themselves. Kids would usually enjoy as it seems like an "adventure" going into the caves. You have to walk, then take a boat inside, walk and a final boat to view the glow worms hanging from the ceiling. There is small lecture talk before the tour to explain what glow worms are really all about. You must be quiet in the caves as loud noises would disturb the glow worms and would make them "turn off their illumination". Infants may be afraid of the dark and may cry loudly during the 15-min trip that's why they say "exception of infants". At certain parts in the cave, you have to stoop down (bend half body) to walk due to the height of the cave.

Edited: 04 April 2010, 12:12
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Te Anau Glowworm caves with infant/toddler?

Kevin, The Lake is not Tidal, so there is no restriction with regard to tides.

Maybe at times of flooding if after a lot of heavy rain.

In my view it is not suitable for babies. There are a lot of steep steps to climb as well as narrow walkways with rails. every one has to walk, climb, decend in single file.

If you were to carry the babies, there is also the chance of them hitting their heads on the rock walls or roof.

If you were on a one to one basis, then you can take babies almost anywhere, but this type of adventure is probably better left till they are older

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Te Anau Glowworm caves with infant/toddler?

Thanks for the input - though not what I was hoping for! Think we won't book ahead - and wait until we get there to talk to the operators. I don't think we'll have a problem with the tour being sold out - mid week late April. Maybe we can manage to pull it all off except the final glow worm part - in which case we can split into the different boat trip so as not to take the kids through the cave...

4. Re: Te Anau Glowworm caves with infant/toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2010, 06:19