We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christchurch to fox glacier tote anau

ENGLAND
5 posts
Save Topic
christchurch to fox glacier tote anau

can anyone tell us what the roads are like- have been told you drive on roads with sheer drops - yiikkkeeeeeeees - any ideas- one of our party has vertigo - THE DRIVER!!!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christchurch to fox glacier tote anau

This is a spiteful rumour, probably started by previous visitors who wanted to embellish their trip reports.

To my knowledge there are no main highways in NZ which have VERTICAL DROPS. Some minor roads, and I am thinking specifically of the Skippers Canyon road near Queenstown, can be fairly extreme. Some of the ski field roads are also rather hairy. Generally the roads you are likely to drive on are a piece of cake for anyone with average driving skills. Certainly the road from Fox to Te Anau is just a road; slighly windy in parts, particulary close to Fox, but well maintained, and no scary bits.

Don't get your knickers in a twist about the driving, after London anything should be easy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christchurch to fox glacier tote anau

I totally agree with vbc - I am too scared to drive in London but was fine with roads further down south & inland near Te Anau! London drivers are much scarier than any slightly windy/hilly NZ roads!

On a more serious note - do not attempt skippers canyon road, that is the scariest drive of my life - and I wasn't even driving!

Kim

ENGLAND
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: christchurch to fox glacier tote anau

why is skippers canyon scary??

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: christchurch to fox glacier tote anau

Skippers Canyon is a driving experience. You want VERTICAL DROPS, it has them. You want narrow roads with sheer cliffs one side, and vertical drops the other, it has them. You want turns so tight you almost have to do a 3 pointer to get round, it has them. You want to drive this road with 30 seat coaches comming the other way, it has that too. You want to lose your insurance on your rental car? Yup,that'l happen too.

You want an absolutely fabulous day out, Take a bus.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: christchurch to fox glacier tote anau

Further to the reason it's so scary - my Dad was driving us at the time (a few years back) - it is the ONLY time he has told me to undo my seatbelt! he said it would be easier to get out quickly if we went over the side!

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: christchurch to fox glacier tote anau

The worst drive from this point of view is probably the road from Te Anau to Milford Sound.

That said it is absolutely spectacular scenary and well worth driving - much better driving yourself than doing as a tour as there as so many places to stop and look and do things.

The road Queenstown - Te Anau has some reasonably sheer sections driving around Lake Wakatipu, but its a good road and as much as I don't want to put tourists off, the worst road hazard is often campervans (road snails) - not the road itself.

Take this from someone who drives this raod in general normally twice a week.

Kia ora